Codecs with VoIP Providers?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RobLloyd, Jul 31, 2007.

1. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Does your VoIP provider support anything other than g.711?

If it does, please state where they are and what codecs they support.

2. Fynskisb16

Most of the providers I've been looking at only support 711alaw/ulaw. It would be nice if more VoIP providers did have other codec however I don't think they want to pay for it. Check out post:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1902
    Maybe 3cx will support g729a. It is small enought to have a lot of calls over a standard broadband connection.

3. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

That's what I'm hoping for. It worked well when I tried it internally with the SPA-9000 system. Just fell short going outside the office plus there are some bugs with the SPA-400 integration using anything other than 711.
    There is definitely some potential there.

4. Fallout

Using the SPA 400 I thought had to use 711 due to the fact that it is a PSTN line coming in which requires 711.PSTN will not work with any other codec.

Also it would be nice if we had an option to buy 729 codec licences if needed.

Back on topic.....Nearly all Australian VOIP providers prefer 729 over 711 due the fact it is not bandwidth hungary and most of the brand hardware supports 729.
    It would be a welcome addition to 3CX but I am not to fussy about it.I love the clearer calls of 711 personally.I also have enough bandwidth for 3 VOIP calls at the same time....How many home calls can you make anyway...
    :)