Commas for Pause?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Psychlist1972, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Psychlist1972

I have some conference lines that I dial into on a very regular basis. On my mobile, I have them set up to dial the number, have a bunch of commas for a pause, and then enter the passcode.

I just tried that through x-lite, but all the numbers were dialed without pause. Is this an issue with the softphone, with 3cx, or with something else? Is there any way around it?

Thanks.

Pete

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Neither X-Lite, nor 3CX are not aware about inserting pauses for commas. Actually, insert to what? Any dial results in one SIP message INVITE which contains whole dial. And 3CX passes that INVITE further to outbound device. It can not split it or change somehow to insert pause.
    The only use for commas is possible if you're dial out thru PSTN gateway. Many of them inserts pauses for comma when dialing at land-line.

3. Psychlist1972

That's exactly what I'm doing (going out through a PSTN gateway). I'll have to look at the packets, but it looks like the commas get dropped.

I had assumed this was a fairly common scenario. :)

Pete

4. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

From my experience the commas are ignored or dropped when entered on a Softphone or other device routing through 3CX, it serves no purpose. The only time it works is in the dial plan of the final outbound device such as the SPA3102, down stream of 3CX, and it has to be a part of the pre-entered dial plan, not sent from 3CX.

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I'd like commas for a pause feature as well, or something to have it pause. I'd like it to program voicemail 999,100,100#. Push 1 button and you can now listen to your VM.

Not sure how it would/could work but I'm in favor of it....

6. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

In that type of scenario you definitely have my vote. I HATE the time it takes to check voicemail. For the personal line used in the home I went back to a plug in answering machine with a BIG blinking light :idea:

7. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

If 1 commas for 1/2 sec pause, our IDD calling card will be supported by our 3CX box as well...........

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why not have it send to your mail box?

9. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Well on the home front, with PAP2s driving all the existing analog phones, and a spouse that opens her laptop once every week or two, the current method of signaling voicemail present works poorly. And since I have no immediate plans to install any IP phones with MWI lights, even an upgrade would not help. I find that the best way to use 3CX and maintain the peace on the home front was to use a traditional answering machine for the home line. I still use voicemail on 3CX for my additional work lines since I have some other Warning Indicator work arounds in place. Vonage when I used them directly had a neat feature of an auditory warning via "blipping" of the dial tone when you pickup handset, don't know if such a thing would be feasible on 3CX.

I have to admit that in the Small Business environments I a trying to target, budget is a major consideration in implementing new technologies and I have been keeping costs down using analog adapters that would enable keeping existing phone infrastructure. The voicemail part is a bit troubling in these situations.

Any ideas from anyone?

10. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Why not? How about the user doesn't have email? Or now they are filling up their already overly large mailbox with even more attachments. In the case of Miraz in the home who wants to check email to see if you have a message. Personally I'd prefer it since my wife is a bad secretary ;)

11. june

Correct
    I must agree.

12. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Hi,

Sorry for "rude" style of post :)

It will be very helpful if everyone, who will "need something", will provide some description of requested implementation("use case" will be almost enough but after discussion :) ) of features like a "pause", "force", "understand", or "fuzzy input" like "I need *95 to make something" ("conference", "transfer", "park" or any "suitable nouns"... :) )

Too much things are delayed in time without your comments...

Few word about proposed feature:
    First, I think this feature is not related to PBX, it is a phoner feature. Why phoners don't support it? Probably, we will try to implement this feature in our new phone :) .

Ok,
    Lets assume that comma separated number is delivered to PBX.
    1. Should PBX use first part as number for routing and then send other parts as DTMFs? (input "999,100,100#" will have a chance to work)
    2. If destination is not internal for PBX, should PBX send whole string with comma to device or to use dial+DTMFs style? In other words, Should PBX interpret this number or interpretation should be delegated to next router(PSTN, VoIP provider etc.)? (input like "00357000000,100,100#")
    3. How to force initiator of such call to send DTMFs? (RTP stream is internal affair of device and, in most of cases, PBX doesn't handle it)

Any comments?

Thanks