Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Company Phonebook Not Working on Cisco 7940

Discussion in 'Windows' started by noddy184, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noddy184

Hi Guys

I have followed instructions out there to get the 3CX company phonebook to work on my CISCO 7940's and having no luck.
    Instructions were to add this line to sipdefault.cnf:
    # URL for external Directory location
    directory_url: http://192.168.1.2:5000/provisioning/cisco_phonebook.xml

Note this link works fine on my computer when I paste it in a broswer, ie the link is not dead.

When the phone boots, it comes up with this error: "Unable to locate HTTP Server".
    Then when you push the directories button, then choose 5 'External Directory', you get the same error message.

I have attached my sipdefault.cnf file. Hope someone can help me.

I see other operators using Asterix etc point their phone to a .php file. Is the 7940 definately able to read a .xml?

Thanks
    Trent

Attached Files:

2. noddy184

UPDATE
    It turned out my sipdefault.cnf settings were fine, the test handset wasnt working with the directories, and the other handsets i have were working. I factory reset the faulty handset and it is going now and reading the .xml file and bringing up the directory.

BUT!

I now have a new problem! On all my Cisco 7940's, it will only display the first 32 entries of the 79 entry phone book. The .xml is not corrupt, because my SPA303 that i have on the network reads all 79 entries fine.

So the new problem to solve: How can i get the 7940's to show all entries in the phonebook?

3. markshehan

markshehan New Member

As far as I am aware 32 is the maximum allowed by Cisco. It was designed to prevent network traffic spikes.

I do not think it is a setting anywhere that can be changed either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. noddy184

Ok, it looks like you can expand the capabilities on the 7940 to read up to 240 names from the phonebook:

Directory Search

Cisco Unified CME 4.3 increases the number of entries supported in a search results list from 32 to up to 240 when using the directory search feature. For example, if a user enters "smith" as the last name, all 240 matches are displayed on eight different pages, with 30 entries per page. If multiple pages are required, the phone displays two new soft keys, "Next" and "Prev" that the phone user can press to move back and forth between the previous and next pages. Text such as "Page 2 of 3" displays to indicate the current and total pages on the search results.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmedirs.html

But you apparently have to write a search script. Anyone got any tips on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.