company phonebook

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by infogest, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infogest

Hi all,
    I can't find a suitable solution I would like to have a company phonebook where all users can insert/modifi/delete contacts. I have to use it with 3cx Soft Phone and Snom/Polycom phones. Any ideas?

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I dont think you are going to find anything since every phone implements directories differently. Your best bet might be some type of XML service but that isnt supported by the 3CX Softphone. Other than a custom web page, I cant think of anything out of the box that will work for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. infogest

I think this is a must have function, but is there any way to publish a phonebook in 3cx assistant? I think could be easy to implement...

4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Really? In 5 years of installing phone systems I have never once had a request for a company wide phonebook. The current Assistant doesn't have this ability, probably from a lack of people requesting it. I would go ahead and post in the feature requests forum and see if other people would be interested.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. infogest

i usually install Cisco and this is a native feature. I think this is necessary, not all my customers have a phone near computer and not all customers have Exchange. But I think It's very easy to implement a central phonebook proviosioned for 3cx Assistant or a sort of LDAP service wich is supported by major Sip Phones. I think this is a must have feature in order not to loose some potential customers

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I wont argue that its not a nice feature, but if the Cisco platform is the only one that has it, it can't be a very well known or requested feature. Since I have never had a customer request it, and in the years of being the project manager for trixbox CE we never had a feature request for it, I can't imagine that you would lose potential business from not having it unless you are trying to replace an existing Cisco system where the people there actually used that feature. I would even bet that in the vast majority of Cisco installs, that very few people use that feature or it would be highly requested for other products.

None of the phones on the market today support any type of standard such as LDAP and getting them to implement it is going to be very difficult unless there is a proven demand for it. Having been involved with hundreds of installs and it never coming up tells me that it must be a very small niche feature that very few people need, therefor its probably not worth the investment to create it and save a couple of potential sales.

Since you have been selling Cisco, you may have been pushing this as a feature and showing people how to use it, therefor your customers may be using it more than others, but I would bet if you stopped pushing it, nobody would know or really care. For most people who are sitting at their desk, they can just make outbound calls via the 3CX Assistant right from their Outlook Contacts, so why would I need to replicate that feature on my desk phone?

7. infogest

Ok, have you ever been in Italy or worked with some small italian companies? Here many small companies doesn't have Exchange installed nor they have Salesforce. But they want a central phonebook. How to resolve this issue? This is only second time customer ask for this specific feature, but on italian forum I see this is a frequent issue. This is a feature that 90% of traditional phone systems have, so I don't think is useless..

8. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Again, I think you may be mistaken as to your statistics. I am 100% positive that 90% of traditional phone systems do not have this feature. I am not going to argue that it may be popular in some situations, but I have not seen this feature on the Avaya, Mitel, Panasonic, Strata, or 3COM systems I have worked with. I also am not arguing that it may be a useful feature. I am only trying to point out that it is a small segment of people that may want it or use it otherwise it would be a highly requested feature here in the feature request forum, and it would have been highly requested for trixbox CE/Pro, which is isn't. So while your customer base may want it, and it may be popular in some places, the overall demand is apparently low.

The best way to judge this is to make a post here in the feature request forum and see how many people also ask for it.

9. infogest

Ok, I think you're more expert than me... but Asterix (add on) and Cisco has it. I don't want to continue a discussion I prefer find a solution. I'll search for something then I'll post it.. ehm of course if I'll find it..

10. xor@redlink.de

We'd be glad to see this feature too, as well as many others probably.
    Just because someone doesn't request something that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful to him. That's what my experience with customers told me: they simply don't know what they need or want until you show them.

11. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

A company wide phonebook is present in 3CX phone system. It can be managed centrally and provisioned to the phones. There is also a personal phonebook for each user. It can go to 3CX Assistant (v8) or be provisioned to the phone.

Check out the manual.....

12. Janek

All I know from bitter experience is that if you are migrating users from a system WITH company directory, to one that hasn't , you can be sure of serious grief until you make one work (or provide a workable compromise)

13. michielpeeters

If you have a exchange-server, you can make a public contacs folder, from wich users can dail/edit/create numbers, using the CRM plugin.

I hope it helps

Michiel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.