Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Complete Newbie Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fraggle, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fraggle

I work from home and have 2 x analogue phones (on different numbers) & a cable broadband.

"Office" side of things has cable broadband, an MS Small Business Server & a web server. Cabling is 100mbps and wifi.

What I'd like to do is:-
    1) Use 3cx
    2) have the "system" answer either of the pstn lines and route to the appropriate hanset (ie business to business, & private to private) but be able to transfer the call between handsets.
    3) Allow any handset to dial out over VOIP
    4) Accept incoming VOIP calls (not essential)
    5) Voicemail & some kind of integration with the Exchange side of the SBS - not sure what but it's shiny & I want it :)

I'm confused as to what hardware I need - can someone help? The more I read the more the FXO/FXS thing confuses me. I'm happy to replace the existing alanlogue phones with IP ones.

2. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    You'll need 2 fxo devices for pstn (land) lines
    and IP phones or gateways (FXS) as much as you need
    option for easy settings you'll need vpn connection (vpn router at home and vpn router at office)

3. fraggle

thnx for the reply.

Office & Home are at the sme location, so VPN not relevant.

Can you recomend the hardware (gateway) device?

4. amygoda

amygoda Member

HELLO,
    You're right you'll not need vpn

Linksys SPA3102 (1 FXO, 1 FXS)
    Linksys PAP2T ( 2 FXS)
    GRANDSTREAM 2020 IP PHONE

5. fraggle

so do I need FXO or FX2 ports?

6. worksighted

worksighted New Member

You will need an FXO unit to connect your phone lines into 3CX. I would recommend the patton 4114 4 port FXO unit. If you use a VOIP provider then you don't need the gateway device.

Assuming you are getting new phones....The SNOMs are nice phones as are Aastra. The Aastra 51i would be a nice phone for you as well in my opinion at a reasonable price.

On the exchange piece, if you are using SBS 2003 the best you can do is voicemail to email (which is all most people need). If you have Exchange 2007 then you can do true Unified Messaging integration.

Regards,

Mike

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. fraggle

thnx for all the advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.