Compressed WAN calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Pauliebrisbane, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pauliebrisbane

Hi,

I am new to 3cx and I can't find any info on forcing compression or uncompressed voice depending on IP address or location.

e.g. a single 3cx server at the main site and a secondary site with users connected the 3cx server over a WAN link.

When the users call each other internally at the same site it prioritises G.711, but if you are calling over the WAN the first choice is G.729.

Is this function possible?

Cheers
    PB

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Could you perhaps change the available codecs on the handset?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can specify the Codecs to be used (usually preferred order) in both the handsets and on trunks groups. The first common denominator will then be used. Off hand I can't remember if that options is available on Bridge Trunks, which is what I assume you are using.

If you are using VPN to the remote location, then, as Craig suggests, the Codec selection in the set will be the only options available and as a result it may come into "play" for more than just calls over the WAN.

You do realize that the G729 Codec is a licensed product.

4. Pauliebrisbane

I understand that G.729 is licensed. Though I would of expected the ability to automatically select G.711 or G.729, iLBC etc depending on the logical location or grouping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.