Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Conference audio quality

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Bronston Hansen, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:35 PM.

1. Bronston Hansen

Hi,

I needed to have a brief meeting a couple days ago with 2 other people. All three of us called into my 3CX conference DID from external numbers (nothing connected to 3CX). The audio quality for all of us was terrible. Everything sounded muffled and was only intelligible when we all spoke very loudly and clearly.

Digging around in 3CX I don't see any codec settings or adjustments I can make to fix this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or has anyone had this issue and resolved it?

Thanks,
    Bronston

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

That just sounds like a regular audio conference which is going to use the dialtone/internet/codecs used for a regular call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andyshawn

So here is my feedback on the issue you are reporting.

You created a DID and pointed it to the 3CX server and all three participants dialed in directly via the PSTN, which means you call was using the GSM codec, so you won't get that crystal clear audio quality. However, the call quality show not be that poor, so my guess is that it was just a one time issue poor connection or a very low quality codec was negotiated.

4. Bronston Hansen

Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately it wasn't quite one time. This was the first time I tried to use the conference number so prior to the call I mentioned I tested it with another person. We had the same terrible quality so I opt'd not to use it. Later for the meeting the alternative we were going to use failed to work entirely so we ended up using the conference number anyway.

Is there anyway to adjust the codec it chooses? I guess I can probably change it on the trunk but I believe that would mean creating a separate isolated trunk just for this DID. Doable but not ideal. Unfortunately at the trunk provider level the codecs and priority are global so there's no way to force it there that I'm aware of.

5. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

What I was getting at is that the conference all isn't treated any different than a regular call so all calls will sound like garbage if its a provider or network issue. I don't believe it to be a codec issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Or not... could all be pure VoIP...

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Bronston Hansen

What happens when you call into the system and an extension picks up? Is the quality then the same? What happens if you join a conference call with 3 extensions? Is the quality then the same?