• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Conference Call Setup + ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreddy

Forum User
Reaction score
I have looked thru all docs and searched this forum, but there is no mention of how to find the conference ID. The documentation on conference calling is not very clear. In anycase I have figured out to how to set up the conference bridge, assign DID and also the inbound routing. Now when I set up a call it keeps asking for a conference ID. Where is this ID? I do not see any ID on the email I get. Nor does it show any ID when I use my desktop app to setup a conference.

Here are my questions:

1. How many simultaneaous conference calls can there be? If a call is going on and another person wants to set up another conference call, can they do that?
2. Conference ID - Where is it?

Please help. I do get the pin in the email, but no conference ID.

John

The conference ID is unique to every conference configured by the user - the conference ID is included in the email send to people invited to the conference.

Under Settings - Conferencing Settings - Audio - Click on Configure for 'Customize the email that will be sent to participants'. The email template should have 'enter the conference ID %%CONFERENCEID%%.' or similiar

The conference ID is unique to every conference configured by the user - the conference ID is included in the email send to people invited to the conference.

Under Settings - Conferencing Settings - Audio - Click on Configure for 'Customize the email that will be sent to participants'. The email template should have 'enter the conference ID %%CONFERENCEID%%.' or similiar

Thank you...Now I see the ID after adding that to the email. The default email did not have that for some reason. However, I have another question.

I noticed that when I dial the conference number, I can create a new conference by just adding any number as ID ( I turned of the PIN as the recording to enter ID followed by the # sign is wrong. The pin has to be entered along with the ID as such ID*PIN - Unless I can change this misleading prompt, no need to have a pin). This is a security risk, as anyone can create a conference that has the DID. They can then send that to other people and join and have a conference call. Does not make any sense. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Kristof Kuderko
Pretty sure you created that by turning off the PIN requirement.

Pretty sure you created that by turning off the PIN requirement.
I need to test this some more. However, the voice prompt says the following - 'Please enter the conference ID followed by the # sign'. This is incorrect because if you follow this and enter the # aign after the ID it does not work. But if you enter ID*PIN after that prompt than it works. So either the prompt needs to change or the functionality should work as prompted to allow the Pin after the # sign. sign. There is another thread referring to this exact issue.

However a caller should not be allowed to create a conference by just putting any number as an ID. Pin or no Pin. Does not make any sense and is a security issue for anyone to create conferences. After the first conference call the pin is known as it picks up the pin from the conference setting and is on the email. I must be missing something as I find it hard to believe that something like this is so open in the system.

Reactions: Kristof Kuderko
Hello @jreddy

The first thing i would like to add is that if you have a DID assigned to the conference extension you need to enable the PIN as this could be a security issue if there is no PIN request.

The conference PIN should only be known by the person creating the conference. When a conference room is created and the creator is in the conference call then other participants only need to know the conference ID. The conference PIN is not included in the email going to the participants.
When the conference call ends and all participants hang up the conference room closes. To re-create it you need to know the PIN so a caller cannot create a conference without knowing the PIN.

If you are using a 3CX client and you start a conference call from the conference menu then you do not have to know the PIN either.

1. How many simultaneaous conference calls can there be? If a call is going on and another person wants to set up another conference call, can they do that?
As many as your licence permits and yes you can have multiple conference calls going on the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.