Configuration of SPA942 phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nellyginrich, Mar 17, 2007.

1. nellyginrich

Please help a newbie!
    Has anyone successfully configured these phones with 3CX? I am unable to get the phones to register.

I have tried the "Generate support info" button in the hope that it may give me a clue to the identity of the IP server name of the 3CX phone system server (presumably my pc?) which gets specified somewhere ("proxy" under Ext1?) but it falls over with a php error.

Thse phones work fine with sip.pipecall.com specified directly as a VOIP provider.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. npiersma

Nelly,

I've got it working fine.'When I get home, I'll sent you the screenshots of the configuration..

NIels

3. Cjay

Cjay New Member

I have SPA941 with 2-lines working fine with 3cx. Is the problem that you don't know the IP address of the PC you have 3cx running on? This is what you need to enter into the 'Proxy & Registration' section of the 942 configuration page. You can find this IP address from the 3cx computer [e.g. start/run/cmd/ipconfig] - but really the 3cx PC needs to be manually assigned a static IP]

[The 'Generate Support Info' option in 3cx just creates a zip file of all the 3cx logs and is not likely to be relevant to your immediate problem].

Chris

4. nellyginrich

Hi Chris,
    No - thanks, I do know the IP address of the pc running 3CX - it's just I'm not sure what else needs tweaking on the phone's setup! I'm no expert on networking or telephony so when things don't work first time it's difficult to know what to change.

So thanks, Niels, for the offer to screenshot the phone's setup for me. That would be hugely helpful. Um - just how do you send those to me? Can you use the personal messaging facility here? I have MSN if you'd rather.

Nelly

5. npiersma

Nelly,

Just got home.

Posted my "standard" configs on http://www.xs4all.nl/~rafty/3CX
    page6 is probably the only thing you need to configure (at least, I did).

1. Make sure you've got the latest firmware loaded (page1)
    2. On page 6,

Configure your proxy should point to your 3CX server
    configure your username and password

and that was it (at least for me).

The only thing not working is DTMF at this moment, but that could be a config issue.

Hope this helps.

Niels

6. nellyginrich

Thankyou Niels,
    Having been around the houses (and back!) I have finally figured it. I had to add the port number to the IP Proxy field. So now the extensions talk to one another. Hurrah!
    I'm still mindful that every time I re-boot my pc it will pick up a different IP address, but that's a problem for another day.
    Now all I need to work out why the connection to my VOIP provider (Pipecall) won't register - it says "Service Unavailable", so I'm still unable to dial out or receive incoming calls.
    Any ideas?

7. 3CXsupport

3CXsupport New Member
    3CX Staff

Hi Nelly & Niels,

Good to hear you finally got it working. You will need to assign a fixed IP to that server, otherwise you will have to change the SPA942 phone's configuration each time.

Can you show us your server status logs related to the registration attempts? Please also make sure that you configured the provider correctly. Have a quick look at our manual and the exapmles there. Before you get the registration done correctly you are very much unlikely to make outbound calls and even less inbound.

Also Niels please try a differnet DTMF method. As of RC1 we support (inband), RTP (outband) and SIP INFO (outband).

8. nellyginrich

Thanks, 3C support - I've actually just emailed you the logs - but in case you check here first,
    The phones have been working fine directly connected to Pipecall, so I'm sure that it's the configuration within 3CX that's at fault. But I've followed your examples very carefully and am still confused. Maybe the advanced configuration need changing? Who knows?