Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Configure PBX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Heath, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heath

Heath New Member

I just tried to move from my current VOIP provider to 3CX. Currently my PBX is hosted at OVH. I've been doing some testing and playing around with 1 phone on 1 of the extensions and was ready to do the cutover, but ran in to issues. 1 extention has 3 separate ip phones 1 of those 3 is at a different location. All the others ip phones all are 1 extension. In all the phones I put in the proxy server and registration server the FDQN of my PBX and port 5060. And my authentication info for the respective extentions. Initially the phones worked. Now alothough they show they are connected and registered and the same on the management portal. The phones are not ringing when dialing the extensions. On 1 of the extentions when I dial some of the extensions says something call not allowed see administer. And some go through fine. I'll reboot, phones will be fine for a fee then some thing. I don't see any thing in the management console portal. In addition the 1 phone that has 3 phones on the 1 extension also has the 3cx client app. When I dial any another extension in addition to the extension ringing my other phones on that extension also ring. Again I can't find anything in the management console. Does this have anything to do with the PBX being hosted on OVH. Is there something I need to add in the webgui of the phones. I want to get moved over to 3CX but need to make sure everything is running smoothly before I do the cutover. Any help appreciated

2. data37

Did you run the firewall checker?

Open specific ports as needed?

Did you check to allow the phones outside of LAN for the phones being used that are not on premise?

3. Heath

Heath New Member

Firewall checker was done. And all came back good.

As far as the specific ports. Are you talking about on the actual PBX (3CX software) is hosted at OVH. When I went into the firewall it looks like all those ports are opened and were done at the time of the install. Or are you talking about my router in my office where the phones (not the 3CX) is located

And the check mark to allow to be used outside the LAN is removed on all extensions.

4. serverwork

We use OVH for quite a few of our deployments.

If your phone (what model are you using?) is supported and on supported firmware, your issue will lie with your SIP Trunk configuration (what SIP provider are you using?) or something in your firewall. Have you ensured SIP ALG is turned off?

5. Heath

Heath New Member

Contacted the SIP which is flowroute and not an issue with them. I don't think it's the sip cause the issue is when I'm dialing extention numbers and not the DID. I'm using Aastra phones and they are legacy supported phones and I do have the latest firmware. And yes SIP ALG is turned off

6. serverwork

Doesn't look like Aastra phones are supported as remote extensions or behind an SBC (which was going to be my suggestion), so OVH may not be the right fit for you.

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/aastra/

7. Heath

Heath New Member

Here is what's interesting. I have 1 Aastra phone that I have at home and have been testing and have not had any issues. Can call all extensions make outgoing calls, receive incoming calls. Have received no errors. The ISP at my office and at my house are the the same and my office and my house have the same internet modem

8. neville

neville New Member

Are you running the 3CX SBC as your proxy at the locations where the phones are located?

9. Heath

Heath New Member

No sbc. No proxy at any location. 1 location is running with. No problems. The other is where I'm having problems.

10. neville

neville New Member

Install 3CX SBC at each location and setup phones. That will fix it.

#10 neville, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  11. Heath

Heath New Member

Yes. I will need help and I too am on edt. But I do work late

12. neville

neville New Member

Message me tomorrow after 8:00.

13. Heath

Heath New Member

Am or pm

14. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-raspberry-pi/

Grab a Pi3 kit from Amazon. At a minimum you'll want a case, power supply, Pi3 board and SD card pre-loaded with Raspbian. If you don't have an HDMI cable you'll want one of those as well, along with something to hook it up to (TV or monitor with HDMI). Don't need the USB Wi-Fi adapter and if you get a kit with one, don't use it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. neville

neville New Member

Am

16. Heath

Heath New Member

The whole purpose why I put the 3CX on OVH so that I didn't have to load or have anything running in my office. Just plug the phone where ever there is an internet connection and connected.

17. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

Well that's good to know after the fact :). But the recommendation solves the problem stated. The issue you are likely running into is multiple IP phones behind a single NAT device. The devices want to use the same ports but generally stomp all over each other. This is where the SBC comes into play. You need a SBC at one end of the link to help navigate NAT. Big hosted PBX providers, including some of the larger 3CX providers use a cloud SBC. Since you seem to be comfortable manually configuring your phones and insist on using unsupported phones you can try manually changing the SIP and RTP port ranges on the phones manually.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/

Check the Notes at the bottom of that page, note #2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. neville

neville New Member

To be able to plug in wherever you are will be tough to do. You could go with a network based proxy, i.e. Natpass, but that is an expensive way to go. You would be better off using the client on the iPhone, android, windows or Mac when offsite. I use the iPhone client daily without any issues. I also use the windows client running on my Surface doing demos several times a month without issues.

To use remote phones with an offsite 3CX, the best solution is the 3CX SBC running on the Raspberry PI which everyone will probably agree is the preferred method ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKBJ1I6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or windows. Windows proxy has issues with losing the connection requiring a restart of the 3CXSBC service so I don't use it any longer.

SBC is very easy to setup. You just need the FQDN, IP address of your OVH host, tunnel password, no failover, and enable encryption. Use the defaults for the remainder. https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-raspberry-pi/

Windows can run on about any modern windows version. https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-sbc-windows/

Make sure you use a static IP.

Just point the proxy on the phones to the IP address of the SBC at each location, port 5060 and it should work.

Stun is going to require some setup at each location for ports, etc. and is a pain. I never use STUN for any reason.

I am not familiar with the Aastra phone but this should work as long as they support using a proxy.

I run dozens of systems on OVH, using the Raspberry PI with Yealink phones and it works flawlessly.

Chuck

19. Heath

Heath New Member

I am using supported phones. Though they are legacy, they are supported. I'm trying not to have anything hosted in my office or at remote site. The whole purpose of having the PBX at OVH. Currently I have a VOIP provider that I just plug the phone in to an internet connection and it connected. And all that they have in the config is the proxy & refgistration server. No proxy. This is what I'm trying to do. As far as using 3CX client. In having issues with that. When the 3CX client loads all the phones go to no service and says on status client mismatch. shut off the app and phone is then ok. So I can't figure that out.

20. neville

neville New Member

The reason it works with your other provider is that they are providing a proxy server somewhere, either built into their PBX or most likely a separate server. You said all they had in the config was the proxy and registration server. Several that I am award of are using Natpass. Without a proxy, you will not be able to make this work. You can either use the 3CX SBC onsite, which is provided at no cost, but does require something to host it on, or you can use Natpass and put it on a different server hosted at OVH. Natpass is free for 2 registrations I believe, but you pay a per client license fee after that. You can also host 3CX with BVoip as I believe they provide a network proxy with their service.

Stun is not going to work without major configuration on your modem/routers. They could be another way but I am not aware of it.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.