Configure the Cisco 7940 with 3cx and voip provider

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Collateral, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collateral

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum, and not very technical - so please take it easy.

I understand there are lot of topics on this phone - but the all kind of start in the middle of the problem, where as i needed help at the very start.

I have been trying to configure my 7940 with the voiptalk service - with no luck. I have now downloaded the 3cx, and added some configuration (not sure if it is correct) in the wizard.

I (think) i understand that i must now configure the phone - from the examples it shows i have to log onto some interface - but where.... I have been configuring the phone from it's manual configuration, on the device it self.

The phone has the SIP firmware on it already - so i really dont know where to go from here or what to do?

Can one help?

Thank you.

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Hi, you need to install and setup a TFTP Server "Get a free verson from http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin"

Download the Configuration templates that we have created http://www.3cx-phone-system.co.uk/3cx-support/cisco-7940-7960-ip-phone-configuration-file-set.html

unzip the folder once downloaded and configure the tftp program / server to use this unzipped folder.

configure your DHCP server to use DHCP Option 66 and list the ip address of your tftp server.

Edit SIP001DA2B72A66.CNF and SIPDefault.cnf to match your VoIP provider / 3CX

Change SIP001DA2B72A66.CNF to SIP[Mac-Address].CNF (Insert Mac Address of the Cisco Phone)

Reboot the phone
    Job Done

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. willow

willow Member

you can also open your web browser and go to the ip address of the phone and configure it from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. davidbenwell

Hi, not from what we have seen, theses phones have to no HTTP web portal.

5. willow

willow Member

ah yes, forgot when the sip image is loaded the portal goes away.

6. jmatson

jmatson New Member

does anyone have all the Config files for the 7940 to convert it to a SIP phone?

7. davidbenwell

8. thereverend

thereverend New Member

Here is what i did to make my phones work.. and its a good idea as well

Call CDW.com and buy a service contract for the phone it should be like $8.00 for the whole year
    this covers the phone if it breaks. also will provide you tech support where they will change you from
    SCCP to SIP. I like you have NO phone system knowlage at all.

9. jmatson

jmatson New Member

no i have tons of phone system knowledge.

Just never worked with one of these phones before.

heck why pay for something when i googled it and got it free.

10. davidbenwell

The Cisco 7940 / 7960 can be tricky at times to setup

Incorrect firmware versions
    incorrect settings

not all the guides show how to setup a TFTP Server, DHCP Server, with option 66

We have setup over 30 of theses phones for clients and once you got the basic setup working for a client adding more phones takes only a few minutes, its the time it takes to get everything in place to start with that people seem to find hard.

11. Dominique24

The hardest part of this procedure can simply be getting the right firmware files and getting them installed on the phone. Usually if the phones still won’t work then you may have a typo in one of the files and the cell phone spy software phones are very unforgiving of any errors in the configuration files. Once you have the firmware loaded, using these examples should help you get the phones registered easily with 3CX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.