• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Configuring iSip for 3CX Phone System

Status
Not open for further replies.

open7

Reaction score
I am trying to configure iSip on the iPhone for use with 3CX when I am away from the office. I followed the directions in "Configuring iSip (Connects Apple Iphone) for 3CX Phone System" document. It will not register, it times out. I have enabled port forwarding on my router to forward port TCP port 5060 to the 3CX server. By the way, I also created a profile in iSip to use it internally and it works fine. The only difference in the two profiles (that I can see is the IP address of the domain entry). Any ideas?

The first thing to look at when having problems with an external extension, is ... check the 3Cx server log to see if there is any sign that 3CX is even seeing the attempted registration. If you check and don't see a thing, then either your router/firewall is blocking the incoming registration attempt (confirm with a packet sniffer like Wireshark) , or the set (iSip in this case) is sending the registration to the wrong place (IP), it isn't going out at all or the network isn't allowing it to pass through. Are you using WiFi or a mobile provider data network. If WiFi, have you tried more than one location, as some hotspots just won't play nice with SIP.

I don't see any attempt to register in the log. I setup another client and it works fine, so it is something with the iSip setup and not the router. THe only think I can think of is that the stun server setting in the other client is different?

It won't be a STUN problem , at least not at this point. If you are using a fixed IP at the 3CX end , or making use of a DDNS service, and you have that info AND the port number (5060) in correctly in iSip, then something is preventing the attempt from getting through. Have you tied the ISip App with a free service like Sipbroker? http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/login

You can send them some test numbers, there is a list on their site, just to see if you get through.

I am not really sure why, but it seems to work now. I was using fring on the iPhone and it worked fine, then several hours later iSip started to work also?!?

Can you explain to me what the STUN server is doing for me? Or, point me in the right direction.

Using STUN allows a device to "discover" its place on the internet. If it (a phone) is behind a router, then normally it would have no idea what public Ip it is using or what type of router it was behind. By doing a series of tests to a STUN server it can deduct this information. There are some sites, if you do a search that go into all of the tests involved. Here is the info from the 3CX site. http://www.3cx.com/PBX/stun-server.html

If the device has a public IP to begin with then STUN isn't necessary.

Glad it's working now, it may just have be one of those computer type problems that we'll never know what caused the problem to begin with, unless others have the same issue in the future.

You never said whether you were trying to use the iSip over a mobile network (data plan) or from behind a WiFi router.

it was from behind a WIFI router. Buy the way if I use fring, it will also work via 3G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.