• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Configuring remote extensions using STUN modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commguy

Reaction score
I have been working on configuring our phone system so that a user can take their phone home and connect it to their home router and use it as an external extension. The 3cx server is on version 12 and the phones are Yealink. Using the links below I was able to set this up successfully. I configured the server, firewall and a test phone, connected the phone to an external network and was able to use the phone as if it were in the office. The issue is, when I connect the phone to our office LAN again it will not work. I'm wondering if there is a setting I can configure so that the phone will work as an external extension, but recognize it's on the same network as the 3cx server when I connect it to the office network again and automatically provision for local LAN? Is this possible or does the provisioning need to be manually changed when transporting the phone from office to home and home back to office? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/

On many devices there is only one place to put in a server address, so you have the choice of the IP of the SIP server on a local LAN, when in the office, or, the Public IP/Domain Name when not. Desk sets usually remain in one spot, inside the office, or somewhere outside. Moving from one location to the other will probably require a change in the server setting. Sometimes a set, that has been provisioned to work outside the local LAN will work inside as well, however, port conflicts can arise, causing one way audio amongst other issues and I would not recommend it. You might be able to do some DNS translations within your router depending on it's capabilities.

Because the 3CX Phone(s) are expected to be moved from one environment to another they are designed to be easily toggled from inside to outside.

If the set(s) that you are using have a back-up server setting, then, if contact with the server is not made using one setting, it may switch to the other, and register through that one. I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure that it will work.

The only other way to do this would be using a router with a VPN connection, at the remote location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samuel_1997
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.