Configuring Skype Connect & 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ATNZ, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATNZ

Hi,

We are redesigning our website and will put a "call now" Skype button on the site so people can click it and call straight into our 3CX system.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/tell-a-friend/get-a-skype-button/

Can anyone point me to a document or tutorial on what we need to do to set up Skype Connect and the link into 3CX? We are using v10 with SP4.

This will only be mainly for incoming calls (and maybe some outgoing), as we have an existing VOIP provider and various call routes setup with "in country" numbers.

Thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Here is the link..
    http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/skype.html

You must find (and use) an older version of Skype or it will not work. You will need to disable the auto-update function in Skype to keep from getting the latest version installed automatically.

3. ATNZ

Thanks for the response.

Our clients will use Skype on their PC's to call in to us, eg clicking the link or initiating a Skype call to "CompanyReception" skype name and it will route into 3CX as if it was from a PSTN number. Internally we use the 3CX softphone and/or normal handsets.

Also I understood that the SkypeConnect had superseded the 3CX Skype Gateway for v10?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sorry, the Skype service you want is a SIP service, not making use of the 3CX Skype gateway. It would be set up as any other SIP provider, I believe there is a template.

Be sure that it will do what you want. As I understand it, you can't call "regular" Skype users (alpha-numeric names) on the Skype SIP service. I'm not sure how it works in the other direction. I'm sure that the people at Skype can provide you with information on the advantages and limitations on each of their services for your proposed application. Which ever one you choose to go for they can both be brought into 3CX.

5. ATNZ

We are only looking to support incoming calls from people using Skype to contact our Skype address eg "acme-reception".

I will look for the template as you suggest. Anyone else who has had direct experience getting Skype calls into v10 via SkypeConnect is welcome to post :).

6. nbailey

nbailey Member

I think there is some confusion about skype and skype connect still. Skype connect is a sip trunk service like other VoIP providers available in the VoIP provider templates (named sip for skype as the template leejor is mentioning).

Skype connect says in there FAQ that Skype Aliases are not able to call skype connect numbers like skype to skype calls of the past, unless the skype alias has a actual number attached to their service so in other words not a free call. They are separate services, so if I understand what you are trying to do here correctly, it will not work with skype connect.

Now unless things have changed on skype connects side you are going to need to scrap the skype alias calls to skype connect and figure out a different method. Again, this is coming directly from Skype connects web site. I think they make it a little confusing for their customers as skype and skype connect are on the same web site. Good luck.

I need to add this as they did make one change since the last time I looked into skype connect.

So apparently now you can if you have a business skype account. Not sure how this works because I have not used a business skype account.

Thanks,
    Nate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ATNZ

Yes it is confusing. I think we'll try setting up a business account and reception name and try to see if we can get skype initiated calls into 3CX.

We might need some assistance on the setup, but if it works fine I'll post details here for others to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.