confused about line status

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by me, Mar 7, 2007.

1. me

me

I installed the actual version of 3CX on a XP-system behind a router with build in firewall.
    I connected 3 GXP-2000 and configured all as shown in the manual.
    I opened the necessary ports (shown in the manual) and also 10000-20000 in the routers firewall.
    I disabled the firewall of the XP-system.
    Also I installed a VOIP-provider (QSC with IPfonie privat). All account informations are filled in 3CX. They only have informations for sip-server and registrar. They don't have (need, they say) a stun-server.

I'm now confused:
    All lines (extensions and VOIP) are showing status "Registered (idle)". In the manual is shown that it should be "on hook" for the extensions.
    3CX is registering all (3) VOIP lines every 20 minutes with "... is successful".

Now the problems:
    We are some times not reachable by extern clients/phones.
    The connection gets lost after some secounds (I think within the process of reregistering the VOIP lines).
    Sometimes we are not able to call outbound. (Outbound rule with transform mask r for numbers starting with 0 already set automatically in installation process)

What do I have to do?
    Can someone help?

2. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

The fact that your VoIP lines are re-registered every 20 minutes means that your External IP:port (resolved by our STUN client) is constantly changing. That is why you may be unreachable by VoIP providers: they are trying to reach you by IP:port which is already expired (expiration time of NAT mapping could be less than 20 minutes). You can either adjust registration interval (make it shorter) for specific provider, or make shorter interval for STUN resolution attempts. All these settings are available in recently released version (RC1).
    If the coonection is getting lost during re-registration procedure - it's only responsibility of provider. Try to ask them. They shouldn't drop connection on re-registration -- call and registration are completely different processes. And you cannot disable re-registration or make its interval bigger, because you will lose IP mapping and will be unreachable from outside.

3. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

"On hook" was the status that previous builds would give you. The manual is a bit outdated, we are infact updating it as we speak. We will replace the manual with the new manual sometime next week. So "registered" is the correct status.

4. me

me

external IP

The IP-Adress shown in the Server Status is not the external IP-Adress. This shows the IP-Adress of the server 3CX is running on. So this is a private IP-Adress (10.***.***.***).
    Is this the problem?

The server is running behind a router wic is also configured as a firewall.
    Do I have to open an additional port?

Thanks in advance.

5. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Re: external IP

If you want incoming calls from VoIP provider, than you need to provide it with address:port at which your 3CX PBX could be contacted. So, you should organize some mapping from local adress of PBX server to some externally accessible IP. PBX will use internal STUN client to try to resolve this mapping. If it is able to do so, it will use resolved address as contact address in registration to VoIP provider. Otherwise it will provide local address in registration, and, in most cases, will be inaccessible from outside. (though, some providers can use address from which registration message came in, instead provided in contact, and, thus, there's slight chance that it will work).

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have a VSP that is a bit tempramental. Try this.

Use the full domain name for the sip server of the ISP, you can either ask them or look it up, using nslookup from the command line.

nslookup "ipaddress of sip server'

If possible give your router a hostname, give your ATA a host name if possible.

Put all the host names in the hosts file on your 3cx server, so it can map it, this might solve your IP refresh issue as I assume that the host names remain the same.

Hope this helps
    Henk

7. me

me

ip-adress

the problem with the ip-adress is solved.
    the server was not behind the firewall of the router (it was set to the DMZ) - so the private ip-adress was shown. now there ist the ip-adress of the provider shown.

8. me

me

shorten registration interval

I tried to shorten registration interval in the general setting.
    It seems to work but if I reopen the general settings the default interval is still shown. In fact the interval is not shorten an the contact interval to the stunserver is still 20 minutes (1200 sec) as setup as default.

9. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Please, try our latest version (build 1699). If the problem persist - try to change interval and than restart the service (3CX Phone System).

10. me

me

I did it. Changed the interval. Restartet the complete server.
    No other result - still the default is actual.

11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Strange. I can not reproduce this issue. I will double-check the code now.

12. me

me

perhaps it is because I can't enter the changes without a mistake because the file for onhold-music was not found. I found the file in another directory and fixed the prob.
    I will restart a little later because we need to phone now.
    Btw.: Can I restart the 3CX-system without restarting the complete server? I couldn't find such a button in the management console.

13. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Looked through the code, the only reason I can suppose is that your database version doesn't match exe version. Have you upgraded previous version or installed new one from the scratch?

14. me

me

I have upgraded with the file provided on homepage.
    I did it twice since 3CX is installed - 1st version 2.0.1616 and today 3.0.1699

15. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Yes, this could be the reason! Could you now change STUN settings without error?

No, you cannot restart service from the web interface, but you can do it from administrative tools.

16. me

me

I can change STUN settings now.
    Thank you very much.
    What do you mean with administrative tools? I will love it if I don't have to restart the complete server.

17. 3CXsupport

3CXsupport New Member
    3CX Staff

You can run the services control:

Start -> Run -> services.msc

or

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services