Confused newbie

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bertarecchia, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertarecchia

Hi. I read the brochure and the whole manually, sadly I haven't answered my basic questions :(
    Maybe someone can help me.

I'm looking for a symple software that can be installed on my PC in my netword and use them to answer phone calls coming in from a magic jack line.
    I just need simple functions like put calls on hold and transfer them to a couple of other people.
    Is this the program I'm looking for?
    Does it need to install in every PC ?

I appreciate any answer and / or suggestion!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It would work, in a 'round about, more expensive way. Even though Magicjack uses SIP, and theoretically could be brought into 3CX as a trunk without the use of the USB dongle, it won't work. They have gone to great lengths to be sure you can't acquire the user password that you would need to do this. It sounds like it used to be possible, but if anyone has discovered a way to make it work now, they are keeping it quiet.
    So, you are stuck using the dongle or a headset on your PC. You could buy a gateway and feed the phoneline from the dongle to the gateway and then to 3CX, but, it would be much cheaper just plugging it into an answering machine. Think of it as Vonage, with a little tiny adapter. They retain control.

3. bertarecchia

I appreciate the answer.
    I'm not using it as an answering machine. I have a very small office and I need someting basic to answer, hold, transfer phones and retain the mobility of Magic Jack.
    3CX seems to be able to transfer calls to a static IP anywhere. That would be great when I travel and some1 here can transfer the call to me wherever i am.

Thanks again for any suggestion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Don't forget, you don't have to use the MJ dongle for incoming calls. On their website you can log in and forward your MJ number to any North American number. That means you can forward it to a free incoming Ipkall number and bring that number into 3CX via VoIP. You would still need a gateway to place outgoing calls via MJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.