Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Confused setting up Linksys SPA3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mbagshaw, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbagshaw

After (finally) getting Cisco IP phones to work on 3CX I'm now tackling the job of connecting a Linksys SPA3102. I tried doing so using the instructions on the 3CX site unsuccessfully.

First, I want to use the SPA3102 to connect a PSTN line to 3CX so I can make and receive calls on that line from my 3CX extensions and I also want to use the single analog phone port on the SPA3102 to connect an analog cordless phone as a 3CX extension. I think the SPA3102 can do both. I am not wanting to use the Linksys as a router or a DHCP server nor am I looking to use the function that lets me dial in to the Linksys from a remote location to make cheap VoIP calls.

My confusion is related to the IP addresses I need to use in the setup. the IP address of my ADSL2 modems/router/DHCP server is 10.1.1.1. My 3CX system is installed on a laptop at IP address 10.1.1.30 and I currently have the Linksys at 10.1.1.31 and have disabled DHCP on that box. I think I'm okay with the LAN settings but I'm not sure what IP address to use in the WAN settings or whether to use dynamic or static addressing.

The documentation on the 3CX site at http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE says (in part):

"6. One thing to have in mind is that if you are planning to use this device just as a VoIP gateway, then you don’t need to configure the Ethernet(local or yellow) interface; just the Internet (external or blue) interface.

7. Now click the “ROUTER” and after that the “WAN SETUP” tab on the top of the page to configure an IP in your local network. (Assuming you already have a router/internet gateway and you just want to use this device as a VoIP Gateway)."

I don't think I am using this device "just as VoIP gateway" am I? I don't think I'm using it as a VoIP gateway at all, am I? Isn't my (VoIP enabled) ADSL2 modem/router doing that in conjunction with 3CX?
    This even confuses me about the physical cable connections I have made to the Linksys - I have connected a cable to the Ethernet (yellow) socket but nothing to the Internet (blue) socket. The other end of the Ethernet cable is connected to one of my local ethernet switches - I am able to access the configurations panels on the Linksys from one of the computers on my network.

Point 7 above really confuses me. I already have a router/Internet gateway so I think I need to "configure an IP in my local network". But what IP? The IP of the router? Of the Linksys box? Of the 3CX system? Or something else? I have looked at sample configurations of the Linksys box provided on this forum by Michael Knowles (http://www.3cx.com/forums/spa-3102---uk-settings-4655-30.html#p22450) - in his post he says his "10.0.0.14 is the Linksys in question, 10.0.0.2 is my 3cx server and also my DNS/DHCP server, and 10.0.0.1 is the router", but the screen shot of his LAN settings shows the IP address of his Linksys box as 10.1.1.5.

I decided two weeks ago that I needed to move with the times and replace my existing (working!) Commander system - 8 extensions, 3 outside lines including one PSTN and two VoIP (the latter provided through the two analog ports on my VoIP modem/router). Having spent countless hours over the last two weeks getting to a point where the system is only still partly working has convinced me that I really should have stuck with what I had!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ess

ess New Member

Hey,

First off, hang in there. I was in the same boat you were switching from an old system to the new. Sure people in the office were fed up with me for a while, but everything is just fine now.

So, I also use a SPA3102 (two of them actually). You only need to connect the internet port (blue). As you said, you don't need the DHCP or routing capabilities of the 3102. Since you're not using these, there is no need to connect anything to the ethernet port of the unit. When thinking about it as a router, just think of the Internet (blue) port as the uplink, and the yellow as the port to connect to a switch for pcs. You don't have any pc's to connect to it, so you don't need it.

Next, the WAN settings are what you want to configure for your ip. Not the LAN settings. All you'll want to do in the lan settings is disable dhcp. For the wan, in your case, you'd make the static IP 10.1.1.31 and the gateway 10.1.1.1. It says configure an ip in your network. They just mean, give it an appropriate ip for your network (i.e. 10.1.1.*)

You are in a sense using it as a voip gateway... a pstn-to-voip gateway. It converts the analog pots voice to digital voice.

So, hang in there my man. It's all downhill from here. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mbagshaw

Tim,

Thanks for your help - and encouragement!

On the ethernet/Internet connection question, I am using one of the computers on my ethernet network to configure the Linksys box. Does that mean I need an ethernet connection to do that? (At the moment I ONLY have a connection through the ethernet port and I am able to connect to the Linksys from a browser on my desktop computer). If I don't have a connection to the ethernet port, how do I configure the Linksys box? And if I DO need connections to both the ethernet and Internet ports, given my need to configure the box from my desktop computer, do I make two physical connections to one of my ethernet switches? And would that mean that I need separate IP addresses for the WAN connection and the LAN connection?

While I'm asking endless questions, can I also ask about connecting an analog phone to Linksys box so I can use it as an extension on 3CX. I currently have the analog phone connected to the phone port on the Linksys box and my physical PSTN line connected to the Line port. Currently I can make calls on the analog phone and receive calls on it. What do I need to do to configure the Phone port on the Linksys so I can access it as an extension in 3CX?

4. ess

ess New Member

I'm sorry I forgot to include one thing about the WAN config. In the WAN config, you need to change Enable Wan Web Server to "yes". You can make it any port you would like, i just use 80. It's a good sign that I forgot about this part because it proves that once things are setup, its almost set-it and forget-it. :lol: Once you enable that, you should be able to connect to the 10.1.1.31 ip to connect to for configuration.

There are a couple of guides I can point you to for setting up your analog phone as an extension. The nice thing about the spa-3102 config is that it is pretty similar to that of the linksys sip phones. So, I'll point you to the config for the SPA 921. When looking at this guide, the tab in the spa3102 config you'll be looking at is the "Line 1" tab instead of the Ext 1 tab.

SPA-921 Configuration Guide
    http:/ /www.3cx.com/sip-phones/linksys-SPA-921/ No longer available. New link: http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

3cx Manual
    http://www.3cx.com/user-manual/ : Latest version

On page 21 of that manual, it shows you how to create extensions. It might be better to go through that guide before the SPA-921 Configuration Guide.

Let me know how it goes!

5. mbagshaw

Eureka! It works! Thanks for all your help, Tim ... much appreciated.

6. mbagshaw

I thought it was too good to be true - it seems I am unable to make outbound calls on my PSTN line through my SPA3102. To test this I set one of my working rules (for eight digit numbers) to only dial out on the PSTN line, then I dialled a valid 8 digit number.

Is there something further I need to do to enable the SPA3102 for outbound calls?

7. skynett

Hello,

I am getting the same error when trying to call out.

Is there any special settings need to be done on 3CX and Linksys SPA-3102 so that the call is successfull?

I have been looking through the manuals provided and it seems to be just enabling me to manage the call in. It will be great if anyone can give me a hints or info on how to go about it..

Thanks.

8. ess

ess New Member

Hey,

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I had this problem initially when I did not set up the gateway correctly. Specifically, I did not setup the dial plan for Dial Plan 8 correctly. It should show, for you (mbagshaw), "(S0<:10002>)" . Additionally, the PSTN default called DP must be set to Dial Plan 8.

I might be completely wrong and that setting might have nothing to do with outbound calls. There are some other things that might need to be tried as well. What country is the system being used in? I know the gateway might have trouble going off hook and dialing if it can't find the correct dial tone.

Anyways, let me know, and keep at it.

9. mbagshaw

I have checked the configuration settings for dial plan 8 in my SPA3102 and they are correct. Has anyone solved this problem? Can anyone even point me in the general direction of the things that might be causing a problem like this?

It has become an even greater problem as I have now discovered that my VoIP provider restricts some numbers, including directory assistance! (Yes, I know, I should be looking at changing providers!). I also need it for my fax machine.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To get technical support on this one, you can contact our technical support (This requires commercial edition with support package). If you have a commercial edition, but no support package, you can purchase one here:

https://erp.3cx.com/orderform/support.aspx

11. Henk

Henk Member

PM sent.

H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.