Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Confusion - dect wireless phones, roaming, etc?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by coroffice, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coroffice

We're currently putting together a 3CX system for a large residential property along with installing a Ubiquiti Unifi Wi-Fi network.

So far I have identified 9 locations that need extensions to facilitate calling from room to room. I'm thinking we can use the 3cx client on mobiles if someone wants to call a specific person within the property as they will most likely carry their mobile with them anyway.

What I'm struggling to get my head round is whether I need/should have roaming for the dect phones even though particular handsets "belong to a location" (e.g. the kitchen phone). As an example, my house is small enough that I can pick up the dect phone in my kitchen and the wander off to any room in the house and I don't loose the call. If I try to do the same thing in a much larger property at some point I'm going to lose the signal.

I can use a repeater to increase the range but because I've not used dect repeaters before I'm unsure what happens when you have multiple dect phones registered to difference base stations/extensions. Can a single repeater operate with multiple base station/handset pairs or do they only register with a single base station?

If I were to use Wi-Fi phones with a zero hand-off Wi-Fi network those phones could wander where they like, should I be looking a Wi-Fi phones instead?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. coroffice

After a bit of reading I've answered my own question.

Thought I'd have to look at a high end dect system like polycom/spectralink Kirk stuff but after reading through the docs for the yealink w52 it turns out the base station can supports 4 handsets and 5 sip accounts. Each phone can have a 1 or more of the sip accounts linked to it and you can have up to 6 base stations. This would give me the option of supporting 24 handests with each operating as a separate extension.

You can't auto provision the additional accounts but you can do it manually so it's not big deal.

Just what I needed :)

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the options available with various DECT phones as there are a number, depending on which make/model you go with...however... a Ubiquity AP user was having an audio issue when the APs were set to allow hand-offs.

See.. http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-phones-system-multiple-access-points-no-voice-40148.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.