Confusion - dect wireless phones, roaming, etc?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by coroffice, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coroffice

We're currently putting together a 3CX system for a large residential property along with installing a Ubiquiti Unifi Wi-Fi network.

So far I have identified 9 locations that need extensions to facilitate calling from room to room. I'm thinking we can use the 3cx client on mobiles if someone wants to call a specific person within the property as they will most likely carry their mobile with them anyway.

What I'm struggling to get my head round is whether I need/should have roaming for the dect phones even though particular handsets "belong to a location" (e.g. the kitchen phone). As an example, my house is small enough that I can pick up the dect phone in my kitchen and the wander off to any room in the house and I don't loose the call. If I try to do the same thing in a much larger property at some point I'm going to lose the signal.

I can use a repeater to increase the range but because I've not used dect repeaters before I'm unsure what happens when you have multiple dect phones registered to difference base stations/extensions. Can a single repeater operate with multiple base station/handset pairs or do they only register with a single base station?

If I were to use Wi-Fi phones with a zero hand-off Wi-Fi network those phones could wander where they like, should I be looking a Wi-Fi phones instead?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. coroffice

After a bit of reading I've answered my own question.

Thought I'd have to look at a high end dect system like polycom/spectralink Kirk stuff but after reading through the docs for the yealink w52 it turns out the base station can supports 4 handsets and 5 sip accounts. Each phone can have a 1 or more of the sip accounts linked to it and you can have up to 6 base stations. This would give me the option of supporting 24 handests with each operating as a separate extension.

You can't auto provision the additional accounts but you can do it manually so it's not big deal.

Just what I needed :)

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the options available with various DECT phones as there are a number, depending on which make/model you go with...however... a Ubiquity AP user was having an audio issue when the APs were set to allow hand-offs.

See.. http://www.3cx.com/forums/3cx-phones-system-multiple-access-points-no-voice-40148.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.