Confusion over the need for Server "CAL's" - Version 15

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by LiscardGP, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiscardGP

Hi

I am currently considering moving from 3CX running on Window 10 Pro to one running on Server 2012 R2.

I have searched for information regarding 3CX's need for CAL's for each phone. I was reassured to conclude that it appeared that each phone does not need its own CAL. This information was rather old!

However, I then checked 3CX operation system requirements and saw the following:-

"Windows 2012 R2 Essentials (max. 25 presence connections on IIS installations)"

So given that 3CX recommends using IIS on server based installations, does this mean that in Version 15 the phones do use a CAL when following this recommended option?

If so, can this be avoided using Abyss option during installation and are they any drawbacks if doing so?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. aberry

aberry New Member

Kinda doesn't matter any longer as 3CX v15 doesn't use IIS or Abyss any longer, they switched to nGinx. Best be is to run on Win 7 or try out the Debian version that just came out and never look back.

If you really do want to run on Windows server, and it isn't a VM it's going to be expensive to make MS happy.

3. LiscardGP

Thanks "aberry"

I have been using 3CX since version 11 and have migrated to latest versions very smoothly. I am currently running version 14 on windows 10 pro. I attempted upgrade to version 15 and everything appeared to go fine. Unfortunately it simply did not work properly. Spent about 10 hours trying to figure it out, but gave up and rolled back to version 14.

As I don't like Windows 10 much thought I would investigate Windows Server. I checked out Debian but having done no more than dabble with Linux I think it would be too much of a steep learning curve.

I should probably stay with Version 14 on Windows 10 pro, but I have a windows server I can dedicate to this role. Suppose I am a glutton for punishment! :)

Still not clear whether the phones each need a CAL. Thanks for the information about nGinx. Just wonder why the 3CX web site still has the statement about IIS I quoted in initial message????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. aberry

aberry New Member

I had issues getting v15 to work on Win 10 and spent a couple days on it. Went back to Win 7 and everything was ready to go in 30 minutes. This is for a new install for a smaller office, and things are good now.

My original site is ~250 extensions and running v14sp3 on a server 2012 r2 VM (datacenter because it's a VM on a licensed host). It works fine, and I haven't had any performance issues running it on IIS and I never saw the CAL information until now so I assume that it is out of date. I am a little afraid to try and migrate that site to v15, mostly because I am using 'unsupported' handsets at that site.

5. LiscardGP

Interesting what you say about reverting to Windows 7. never considered that.

Could be an option.

Thanks. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.