• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Connect unsupported ATA (Linksys PAP2 or Cisco SPA122) to 3CX cloud via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andriy

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have setup 3CX (hosted in cloud by 3CX) with 10 extensions.
I am using ATA adapters to connect to extensions from ATA adapters' web interface.
(I use Linksys PAP2 or Cisco SPA122 (each device has two ports to connect a regular non-sip phone))

I can connect and the phone is registering in 3cx and shows up in 3CX>phones (unprovisioned).
STUN is supported, and registration is ok with phones STUN enabled and disabled.

However, after a few minutes, the phones stop working normally. Sometimes, there is no audio, sometimes there is only one way audio, after sometime, the phones do not have any signals, when picked up etc.

I am not sure what is the cause of this, but i heard for unsupported phones, VPN connection should be used.
I was able to connect with above adapters to Bitrix Cloud PBX as well as PhoneSystems (DIDWW) Cloud PBX and others and did not have any problems. If anyone knows what is causing the errors, please let me know

Can anyone direct me where to start to setup this via VPN - should I configure my router to connect my FQDN via a specific port?

Hi Andriy,

Firstly, the FXS extension(s) you have these analogue phones setup to enable "PBX Delivers audio" I had this exact same issue last week on a site with FXS endpoints and this solved the issue.

This setting can be found under the Extension >> Options.

You may also wish (if not done so already) set the Gateway address specifically in the ATA - this address would be the address of the device initiating the VPN to the cloud.

Dear Eddv123, thanks for your continious support.

1) I have enabled "PBX delivers audio" in 3cx > Extension > Options
i will update in a few days if it helped.

2) I have also setup gateway to 192.168.1.1 which is my main router's IP address. The router connects directly to internet (and ATAs connect to 3cx cloud via internet). so no VPN is set up at present as I understand. That is what i believe i need help with if solution #1 will not help.

Thank you

1) Could you please elaborate on "to always configure a gateway (and route)" - my gateway - is the router that connects to internet - it has 192.168.1.1 address and the same IP is setup in ATA's Gateway field. Is this enough?
Or should this be done somewhere in 3cx > Extensions?
I can not add FXS/DECT and setup IP from there, because my ATAs are not in the list. Should I just choose Patton or Gigaset or anything, and try to connect anyway?

2) I am using same subnet for all devices.
Router 192.168.1.1
Cisco SPA122 192.168.1.22
LinkSys Pap2 192.168.1.23
Subnet 255.255.255.0

I would say so (although I must be honest I don't used this brand of ATA/Device) but if your router is what is establishing the VPN then all you are doing is telling the device where to send the traffic.

A route I doubt would be an option, Pattons have these but they are very intelligent products and have a whole bunch of features and functionality.

You cannot use another device in the FXS/DECT section (if this is what you are asking) as supported devices have specific templates. Keep it as you have it.

I have no VPN setup yet.
only my ATAs, connected to my router, and the router is connected to Internet. If I absolutely need VPN, where should I start to set this up to connect to 3cx cloud? Should I create a VPN connection in my router Web interface?

In PhoneSystems (DIDww) my ATAs used to be connected using SIP host, SIP username and SIP password only. And the system knew were to direct the traffic only by username. Isn'nt the same possible with 3cx? especially as it seems PhoneSystems use 3cx themselves (?)

---
i am kepping it as I am haviing it for now.
about 60 mins after I setup Linksys PAP2, it is no longer able to make calls. It is still able to recieve calls with no problem. But when calling ANY number - i get busy signals.

Cisco spa122 still works fine to make and receive calls.

Any advice on how to setup VPN to 3cx cloud or other solutions?

VPN is not a must have you can do either of the following:

Use the 3CX SBC for Raspberry Pi, Windows or Linux: Although un-supported you could setup the SBC (which in turn would create the 3CX tunnel back to 3CX) you could then point the registrar address of your device to the SBC itself and thus register it down the tunnel to 3CX. I have done this will several variants of gateway (Grandstream, Patton, beroNet) and it works fine - the only thing I would not use this method for would be FAX, I have personally never found it reliable.

Its free software - you just need to find something to run it on: https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

You could try direct STUN/SIP however I don't find this method very reliable and/or secure.

If you want to go ahead with the VPN and (and your router supports this) I would take a look at these links dependent on who your cloud provider is:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/vpn-connections.html
https://cloud.google.com/vpn/docs/concepts/overview

Thanks for answer.

- direct STUN/SIP - is what I am using now? just putting username, password and host address into ATA device, am I correct?

- my Cloud provider is 3CX. I use cloud version hosted by 3CX.

If your happy using STUN and it's working for you, you can stick with it.

I would however consider a change if you want to add more endpoints to the site and/or secure your calls, VPN and SBC would offer an encrypted connection for you.

STUN works fine for Cisco so far. For Linksys, it works for a few hours, and then problems start,
for example, busy signals when calling any number, even if I am 100% sure it is not busy and I can reach it from other locations

the fact that you are attempting to use more than a couple of devices at one location, without VPN or an SBC is going to cause problems. You can usually get away with a couple of devices at a remote location when only behind a router and you are using STUN, but, each must be assigned a unique local port, and even then, depending on the router, you can still have audio issues. In that case (a couple of devices only) I would recommend also enabling PBX delivers audio, in the extension settings.

For 10 devices, you can go the expensive route and set up VPN, which may require the purchase of a new VPN router or two. The inexpensive route is the Raspberry Pi SBC.
https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/
if you use one of these, each device can use the same local port (each of the two ports on a device (one IP )must still be unique). This allows calls between extension to remain on the local network and solves the problem of the router not being able to keep track of which device is to get which call .

Last edited:
Dear Leejor,

thank you for your reply.
I have enabled PBX delivers audio already. Thanks for suggestion
1) I am ok with upgrading the router. Currently I am using Nighthawk X8 | R8500 | NETGEAR - it seems to have a VPN option.Can I get away with that, or i need something more advanced?

2) I have no audio issues, but after a couple of hours I can not place calls from some devices. I can still receive the calls.

3) i would prefer to configure VPN or SBC to Raspberry Pi SBC - but i have no idea which one is better, and how to set them up.

Thanks for advice!

You have a good router, but from what I can find, it probably supports the pass-through of VPN, but does not establish a VPN connection (act as a client) with another VPN router. Rather than buy a new router, the other end would probably have to be replaced as well, you would be better spending a small amount (about $35 US) on a raspberry Pi.

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-RASPBERRYPI3-MODB-1GB-Model-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92

You will also require a 5 volt power supply (micro USB) and a micro SD card. A case is nice, but not necessary if you can mount it in something yourself. Kits are also available.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

Dear Leejor,

thank you for your suggestion. When saying - the other side - do you mean I need to change router at 3cx cloud site? is it even possible? or is it for cases when I have a self=hosted version somewhere at a remote office or DC?

OK i think I will give raspberry Pi a chance than :) but it seems like ti has not enought RAM and CPU to process simultaneous calls and internet traffic, or it does not matter?

Thank you

Last edited:
If you want a VPN connection, router to router, hen, yes, both ends must support whichever type of VPN you wish to use. If you don't control the router at the server end, then this may be impossible unless it is a "feature" offered by your host.

The Raspberry Pi does not handle your "regular" internet traffic. It simply "directs" the call processing messages between the SIP devices behind it, and 3CX . The devices communicate with the SBC, and it communicates with 3CX, and vice-versa. Once a set to set call is established at the remote location, voice will not have to go back to 3CX, but can go direct between sets.

These is a slightly more expensive 3+, if you want to "splurge", but it's not necessary with only 10 extensions.

Andrily

I see by this thread you have a Cisco SPA112 ATA that you are running as STUN. I tried to run it on STUN on my network and wouldn’t register. SBC was not an issue at all, but I’m trying to use STUN. Was there any other settings in the WebGui of the ATA that you did to register. So I can see why I’m having an issue

Heath
What does the 3CXActivity Log show? Is there a registration attempt? If not, then it is not a STUN issue, it is another setting in the 112, or a network issue.

If you see an attempt, but it is registering with a local IP then it may very well be a STUN (settings) issue. First you need to know which direction you need to troubleshoot.

Andrily

I see by this thread you have a Cisco SPA112 ATA that you are running as STUN. I tried to run it on STUN on my network and wouldn’t register. SBC was not an issue at all, but I’m trying to use STUN. Was there any other settings in the WebGui of the ATA that you did to register. So I can see why I’m having an issue

hi there,
Try to set your username in 3cx to same as your extension number.

Leejor and Andrily

I looked in the activity log and I don’t see a registration attempt. I know it’s nothing in my network as I have other phones running on STUN. So it has to be setting in the ATA. But I have no clue what. I have in the SIP tab under NAT support Parameters my STUN server info, I have STUN enable and STUN test enable both as yes. And I still can’t get connected. Now if I take out the STUN info and under line 1 put the info on my SBC in the proxy server then it connects. So at least the username and password are correct and working on the network. But I want to use it as STUN. I’m sure it has to be another setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.