Connecting 3CX to ISDN 2e in UK

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by LiscardGP, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiscardGP

Hi

I have been using 3CX for the last 4 years but have increasingly experienced connection problems either from VOIP provider or wider internet issues.

The decision has therefore been made to move away from our broadband connection and migrate to using ISDN lines via a VOIP gateway.

Wishing to restrict choices to 3CX approved gateways it appears we have a choice between Beronet Berofix 400 (4BRI) or say a Patton smartnode 4120/4634.

I have searched forums and there is very little mention of these devices. Is this because they generally install, configure and work reliably? Or is it because those of you who are experts in these matters know to steer clear and avoid problems?

My question is therefore has anyone good, or bad, experiences of using these devices in the UK.

Thank in advice for any feedback.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cabc

Beronet looks nice, but for various reasons including easy of purchase we went for the Patton 4120. We have used it for about a year with very little fuss. We had 2 BRI ISDN 2e connections.

3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

I have very good and cost effective experience with Epygi Quadro ISDN in Europe (should support British version of ISDN as well).
    It is pretty trivial to configure for using with 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LiscardGP

I hadn't realised that 3CX lists a few more gateways in addition to those listed as approved on the web site.

I have checked them out but, as this is the first ISDN gateway I will have connected to 3CX, I think I will stick with the Patton 4120 as its set up is full covered on the web site.

Thanks for the replies.

NB VOIPON.co.uk sells both Patton and Berofix products.

5. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Hi,

I assume this is Brian?

What issues are you experiencing?

6. LiscardGP

Hi David

I have used VOIP over the internet, as opposed to just on our LAN, for a few years. It seems in the last year there are more frequent connectivity problems outside our control. Our 3CX system has been fine.

I have selected two VOIP providers in the belief if one went down I could use the other. It transpires whenever one has problems they all do (inc draytel, VOIPon)! I presume this is to do with them using the Teleappliant services. Sipgate appears independent of these outages but there is no 3CX template for this provider.

There was also recently a nationwide internet issue recently causing connectivity problems.

Since starting to use VOIP I have paid for enhanced protection with PlusNet. If our broadband goes down the contract states they will attend within 4 hours. Two weeks ago our broadband failed and we had to wait 2 working days for it to be fixed :O . They justified the delay by stating the fault was on the phone line and not the broadband and so was not covered by the enhanced care!! They do not provide enhanced care for the phone line, and so I now realise we are vulnerable to prolonged periods when we could be without a broadband connection. We therefore need a back up option.

Unfortunately we also have an infrequent, but recurring problem, with crossed lines. While a patient is on hold they can hear other peoples conversations. As we are a health centre this is simply unacceptable because of confidentiality reasons.

A combination of these events has led me to the conclusion we have no option but to install a VOIP gateway and use POTS.

At present I am waiting for the ISDN lines to be installed and hence my enquiry about VOIP gateways. Quite sad I have had to reach this decision.

7. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

You should have given us a call

We run our own network and we could have advised you that moving the PSTN line over to us, could have upgrade the response times to 4 hours / 365.

VoIpon, Draytel, Voiptalk are all based on the same network Teleappliant of which have had lots of issues in the past 12 months.

We used to use Teleappliant but as of November last year, we put all new accounts on our own independent network.

We are currently in the process of migrating around 200 numbers per week over to our network from teleappliant.

We are now up to just over 144,000 telephone numbers on our own network and have not had an single outage yet.

You make reference to the national outage this month. This was due to Level3, Teleappliant dont have many peering agreements and Level3 is one of their main providers.

We have over 100 peering agreements on the network which BT, PIPEX, Virgn, all the top providers. Level3 outage did not impact our network.

ISDN will cost you alot more in line rental / phone calls and less flexible.

Patton Gateways are the best way to go if using ISDN.

Avoid VoIPOn, Patton gateways come with 2 years warranty but as a business customer with VoIPOn, You wont get this.

I really hate companies which treat consumers different from business customers. http://www.voipon.co.uk/returns-centre/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.