Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Connecting my landline to the phone system.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mathewjenkinson, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathewjenkinson

Hi Everyone,
    quick question:
    I want to connect my landline to the phone system so that I can receive calls coming in from the regular PTSN network.
    Is it just a case of connecting the PSTN line into the servers modem port?

I work from home and have a VOIP setup for my office side with one phone and then my home phone is a connected to the PSTN system however I want to be able to receive calls from my home line through my VOIP system so that I can transfer them to a different phone as and when I need to.
    Is this possible?

Thanks
    Mathew

2. Philco

Philco Member

Hi Mathew, not quite as simple as that.

You'l need a gateway or an ATA wih a PSTN Gateway. Grandstream HT488 or others.

Phil

3. mathewjenkinson

humm ok.
    I have a 486 model with a line connector - is that any good?
    If not do you know where I can buy one from?

4. mathewjenkinson

So im not looking for PTSN pass through, Im looking for an FXO device?

5. Henk

Henk Member

What ever device you buy it needs to have:

One RJ-11 POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) FXS port to connect an existing analog phone or fax machine. If that is what you want.
    One PSTN FXO port to connect to a Telco or PBX circuit. This is where your existing phone line plugs in.
    One 100BaseT RJ-45 Ethernet interfaces to connect to a home or office LAN, as well as an Ethernet connection to a broadband modem or router.

Hope this helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Yes you need an FXO device.
    For home use I'd probably go with the Grandstream mentioned above. If it's a business I'd go with a Patton or AudioCodes or for emergency backup only where it won't get used (hopefully) the Grandstream GXW-4400 will save you some money over the AudioCodes or Patton.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Halea

Halea New Member

Mathew,

You already got plenty of replies to your question, but I am compelled to add.
    Yes indeed, you need what's called an FXO adapter. I would recommand Linksys SPA-3102 for a single PSTN (plain old telephone line from the central office to your home). Stay away from HT488 or 503. You should be able to get SPA-3102 for about $65 in the US. It's still the easiest product to configure, and based on your initial message, you are only beginning with the whole VOIP concept; you don't need the aggravation of a sub-standard, "geek" device.
    If you follow the instructions found on the 3CX website about the installation of the 3CX software and SPA-3102, you will be up and running with your setup within a couple of hours.

Incidentally, everyone here is assuming that you have a LAN, with a router to access the Internet. In other words, your computer is not directly connected to your Internet gateway device (DSL or Cable Modem). FXO will be installed between your phone line and a switched network port on your router. If you don't have one, it won't help.

Cheers & good luck.
    Halea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.