• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Connecting PSTN line to 3cx

Status
Not open for further replies.

equinoxitc

Reaction score
Hi, Starting out with 3cx but have some pbx experience. Looking for a way to get a single analog pstn line onto a 3cx system. Searched on the forum for similar posts but they are from a while ago and reference products from a while ago.

Current 3cx system is sitting on a hyper-v vm and is working well with connected extensions etc. If I can get this PSTN line sorted then I can look at migrating our internal PBX config across to 3cx.

many thanks in advance.

Hi equinoxitc,

You would require something like the Patton 4112 JO (FXO) device. Fully supported by 3CX for provisioning also: https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/patton-smartnode-sn4112/

There are other gateway variants for FXO also however I find Patton are the best: https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

Just ensure before setting up that the line does not have any features set on it (such as redcare or BT Featureline - these services are UK and may be called something different where you are based).

Either way they offer "PBX Like" features which will conflict with the PBX - standard BT line is fine however.

thanks for the reply. It is a UK line with talktalk and has no extra features apart from fibre.

Was hoping from something cheaper to be honest. We will probably port the number in the future but it is tied to the fibre and static ips etc so would prefer to get something to deal with the number and line initially then I can deal with alternate fibre connection later and other services tied to it.

So the FXO is just a temp solution really and was looking to see if there was something less than £200 that the patton seems to be going for. Temp solution may be a couple of months or a year knowing how these things tend to stretch out :)

I had seen some reference to other products under the £100 mark. I think one was from grandstream but could not find an up to date equivalent.

Grandstream gateways are very cost effective and can in some cases be about a third of the price of the Patton.

Just be aware that although I have heard rumour they maybe supported in the future they are currently not and will require a manual configuration to work with 3CX.

Not an issue really as the user interface is pretty easy to interpret and their support is very good.

I use unsupported Dinstar. They support 3CX directly. No problems here.

thanks jimbo59. do you have a note of a Dinstar model for a single pstn line that's available in the UK by any chance?

Look for Cisco SPA112

Look for Cisco SPA112

That would be for using an analogue phone, on 3CX. If you want to use a single PSTN line, search for a Cisco SPA3102. They have been discontinued for a few years, and are no longer "officially" supported by 3CX, but will work. Finding one, might be a problem. they support one PSTN line and one extension.

It's unfortunate that Cisco did not see fit to re-issue a new version of the 3102 when they came out with the 112 and 122. I have to assume that sales volumes of the 3102 had become disappointing, as the use of PSTN trunking declines.

Last edited:
Correct.
And an old modem, like a Draytek or FritzBox, with PSTN functionality can also do the job.

purchased one of the Linksys SPA-3102's with firmware 3.3.6 and I think there is an update but trying with this version.

is there a config reference I can start from with this. I understand there used to be a hosted doc on here. cheers in advance for any help.

Yes, there used to be, until, they became "unsupported". Are you using on the same LAN as the 3CX server?

If it is on the same LAN, first give it a static IP.

Have a read through this...

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/provisioning-a-linksys-spa-3102-gateway.34293/

If you can't get it working, then post the PSTN tab, and I'll go over the settings.

Don't worry about the firmware for now, there were not any major revelations in the last few updates, and it won't erase your settings when you do upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the assist. Same Lan, got static ip and using web config through WAN. trunk in 3cx interface is green, Got the linksys showing the call as ringing but call not getting to the extension.

thanks for the link. will look through it and see how I get on.

thanks

Got the linksys showing the call as ringing but call not getting to the extension.
If you mean that that a PSTN call is incoming, but not being passed onto 3CX, then post the PSTN tab and I will point out what needs to change. Are outgoing calls working?

Last edited:
had not tried the outgoing call as had sip trunk already in place. should get time to look at the post today at some point and then I can test it after work hours.

If you mean that that a PSTN call is incoming, but not being passed onto 3CX, then post the PSTN tab and I will point out what needs to change. Are outgoing calls working?

Had a blacklisted ip of the linksys in the middle of trying the config so wasted a good bit of time :( Status at the moment is that the 3cx trunk is green but cannot see calls going in our out.

Line 1 seems to be what is registering rather than the pstn line. I have put all pages of the linksys on the link below if anyone can help. I may have messed up some settings while the ip was blacklisted

https://storage.equinoxitc.co.uk/index.php/s/eHWVjmFrP94QQD2

OK, I assume you are not using the 3102 to connect to a telephone, only a PSTN phone line.If that is the case then under Line 1/ Line enable, change to NO. That will stop it from registering.

Take all of the settings you put into the Line 1 tab under Proxy and Registration, and put then into the PSTN Line tab (some are currently the same, some are not). Be sure that the trunk you created in 3CX is the same number you have used I the settings, in your example, 10001. If it is a different trunk number, then change the 3102 to match
Since you are using port 5062 (PSTN Line), be sure that port is used in the trunk (you created) in 3CX.

On the regional tab, at the bottom, I see you still have Caller ID type as Bellcore. While, I understand that some providers in the UK do use this method, it may, or may not work, but that can be fixed later. There are also some regional settings that may need or be "tweaked". You might want to do a search for someone else that has used a 3102 with your particular provider.

thanks for the help once more. I have it almost working and fixed some of the settings on the regional page. I found an article on using the spa3102 with BT so copied their settings albeit I am with talktalk.

I can now get calls in and out but there is one issue which may be 3cx but not sure. The Call when it comes in from my mobile to the analog line rings on extensions for about 2 rings then hangs up. call log shows not answered.

If I pick up straight away then it is fine. Could this be the PSTN answer delay?

https://storage.equinoxitc.co.uk/index.php/s/qOXG4yeWYZeAZVS

Answer delay, is simply the time the 3102 will wait before "passing" the call on to 3CX. It is necessary (3 second delay) when using Bellcore type Caller ID, as the information is sent between the first and second ring. If the call is sent to quickly, caller Id will never be "collected". In the UK (BT standard), as I recall it is sent after a current reversal (to wake the device)before that ring generator is sent, so, you may be able to reduce that delay with no issue. This should not cause the call to drop after two rings.

Check the 3CX Activity Log. It should show which end dropped the call. The INFO tab on the 3102 should show the reason that the last call ended. I will look over your settings again in the PSTN tab again in the event I missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.