• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Connecting to 3CX from unsupported phone or Softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andriy

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Dear Community,

Sorry if the question was asked before, but i could not found an answer with instructions detailed enough I can follow.

I am using Cloud based 3cx version
I have created an extension in 3cx that has a username and password. Does this mean I can connect via any sip phone and sip client (like Linphone or smth) using

- hostname.3xc.com
- username
- password

or do i need to create a separate SIP account for connecting my 3rd party sip phones?

For example, I want to connect using my Cisco SPA122. It is not listed as supported device. Therefore I can not do provisioning. When just using Username and Password from my extension, the registration fails. What username/password and other settings should I use to be able to register in 3cx? Can i just setup a sip account and add the phone by logging in into that account from my sip phone?

Any advice will be very appreciated.
Again I apologize for beginner-level questions, especially, if this has been addressed before.

thank you.

I have followed tutorial here, but I keep getting Registration failed messages.

Is that because 3cx is also checking the MAC address? if so, how do I add MAC address of my device to 3cx?

I am able to receive and make calls from my 3cx app on android phone with not problem, just need to understand how to connect sip phones manually without provisioning if that is possible.

thank you

Hi Andriy,

You need to actually address how you are going to connect first, the credentials can wait.

With un-supported devices to the cloud you have only one option for connection and provisioning - using a VPN. You would be much better off getting a supported phone and using the SBC or STUN.

If you want to continue however setup a VPN from the cloud system (search for "setup VPN to Amazon web services" - or whoever's platform you are using) and you should be able to find a walk through.

The only other thing I could think you could do (and it would be un-supported) is try setting up an SBC to the cloud and then manually point your un-supported devices to the SBC (set registrar address to SBC address not 3CX).

Dear Eddv123

thank you for your reply.
My current installation is hosted by 3cx.jp.

I already have devices I would like to use at least for now if possible. We are using Cisco SPA122 or Linksys Pap2.

I assumed i can just put my FQDN or IP with extension credentials in Cisco SPA122 or Linksys Pap2 and register on 3cx. Am i wrong?

I checked and followed explanation here, but still getting registrations errors
/community/threads/linksys-pap2t-configuration.2153/

Do i need Virtual Private Networking to get from my location to FQDN?

Cisco SPA122 or Linksys Pap2 both support STUN server, so i can set them up.

THANK YOU

Yes they do support STUN, but if you look at the extensions you setup on 3CX (under provisioning) you will see that they are stuck on "Local LAN" if you were to use a supported phone you would get the options for SBC and STUN also - this is what is restricting you.

Your Options are VPN (best option as your a fully supported then if you have a "supported" variant), the SBC option I gave you in my last post. Or perhaps writing a custom template for the Cisco's to support SBC and STUN (I would advise however not to go down this route if you are new to 3CX).

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply.

Actually I do not see LOCAL in proovisioning - because i do not see any phones connected at all.

I am getting this error in Activity Log lthough I have copy/pasted Authentification ID and password:
Credentials don't match, check that authorization-ID and password match the ones in extension settings

Therefore, maybe something is wrong with credentials?

Last edited:
So i need to click ADD+ in Provisioning and add a phone and set MAC there?

but my phone is not listed there.

Should I just set any model and then modify it? Can i add custom templates for could? (there is not TEMPLATES option in SETTINGS in my admin panel)

thank you

If you have a supported Cisco phone you can see here: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
It looks like yours are not. Unfortunately this means that there is no provisioning template available.

If not I would opt for VPN and manually pointing them at your 3CX Server.

Dear Eddv123

thank you for bearing with me. Sorry but i do not quite understand the flow
1) If i have a supported phone - i need to add it via ADD button - i got this
2) if I have unsupported phone - i need to point it to 3cx. - ok this is on phone:s side. But do I need to do something on 3cx side in admin panel to add unsupported phone? or as soon as i connect - it will just pop up under PHONES or under Provisioning?

i actually have one supported phone Yealink t42 and it also gives me the error saying credentials are incorrect. Maybe I am just doing something wrong?

Should I use my username or extention number (for example 01 or dsjghfsdjfhg)? and do i need to enable STUN and point it to my FDQN ? (i actually tried both options with no luck) Maybe there is something very simple i am missing?

thank you

OK I will put this to you in 3 parts as per the phones guide I sent: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/ All of the below are to the cloud:

Supported handset (Yealink T42): I would recommend the use of an SBC, although STUN will work in this instance as you want a quick easy fix without an extra bit of kit. See STUN here:
https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/configuring-ip-phones/#h.ul2fzupi6t22/
https://www.electronicfrontier.co.uk/provisioning-remote-phones-using-rps-direct-sipstun/

Supported Cisco Phones (which you don't have): These are legacy supported (not fully supported) they can be setup using VPN and DHCP options provisioning, or manual provisioning - a provisioning template does exist for them in 3CX.

Un-supported (like what you have): manual setup of each end-point, you will need to setup an extension on 3CX prior to touching the phone. And using the username and password from the extension >> authentication register the phone to 3CX.

The only way you can get this to work to the cloud is via a VPN.

How many devices are you planning on using at a single location? If it is just "one" then you can manually provision, and use STUN. It becomes a bit more complicated when you try to use a "few" devices behind a router (without VPN or an SBC).

With un-supported devices to the cloud you have only one option for connection and provisioning - using a VPN. You would be much better off getting a supported phone and using the SBC or STUN.

This statement is not true. 3CX puts no restrictions on how you connect any device. Supported/unsupported only qualifies what 3CX recommends and has tested. The provisioning method only dictates what 3CX puts in the generated config file. You can absolutely do something silly like setup a supported phone like a Yealink T41 phone as STUN or SBC in 3CX but then manually configure said phone to connect in a LOCAL scenario and 3CX will happily talk to it. There is no technical difference (besides the options generated in the configuration file) other than 3CX unchecking the 'Disallow use of extension outside the LAN' when selecting the STUN method of provisioning. And one can easily clear that check box themselves (and is probably all the OP needs to do to get that device to manually connect) for the extension.

I've connected several unsupported devices via STUN or SBC just by manually configuring them correctly.

Guys thank you for your replies.

i decided to start with supported device first and then move to insupported. I am trying to connect Yealink 42.

here are my actions
1) 3cx > Phones > Add+ > Select Extension to use it with, input Phone's mac address
2) i setup the phone using phone's web interface using info below:

- host - my FQDN or IP address
- extension number (two digits like 01)
- extension Auth ID (something like ohpre12)
- extension password (********)
- tried to add STUN server (my FQDN or IP ) too

but I am getting - incorrect credentials error. What am doing wrong?

Attachments

• 3cx.PNG
    3cx.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 101
  • YealinkSettings.PNG
    YealinkSettings.PNG
    66.5 KB · Views: 106
I would confirm on the options tab of that extension that 'Disallow use of extension outside the LAN' is unchecked. Then I would also make sure your IP address is not blacklisted (go ahead and whitelist it when you check). Then check the activity log in 3CX to confirm the registration attempts are hitting 3CX.

Hello

1) i have checked that 'Disallow use of extension outside the LAN' is unchecked.
2) IP is actually whitelisted, because otherwise it gets blocked very quickly due to fail attempts
3) Activity logs shows all the registration attempts

Any suggestions? Should i use extension name or auth id? I have tried both tough...

to Craig Reilly, - thank you for your suggestion. I will try your method for supported phone. I just wanted to login via WebIInterface to figure out how it works and to use same method for unsupported phones later.

thank you,

Last edited:
Dear guys.

Thank you very much for all your help. I was able to login from all my devices.
Supported Yealink t42 and unsupported Cisco 122 and Linksys Pap2.

The quality seems to be more or less OK, expectedly better on newer supported devices.

I was able to login with both - STUN enabled and disabled. Could you please advise if I should leave this setting alone or set it to Enabled with FQDN as my STUN server is preferable?

Thank you

The quality seems to be more or less OK, expectedly better on newer supported devices.

A lot of factors can affect voice quality, not just how "new" the device is. Yes, firmware and hardware improvements (features) have probably been made in more recent versions, but there are a lot of "links in the chain".

I was able to login with both - STUN enabled and disabled. Could you please advise if I should leave this setting alone or set it to Enabled with FQDN as my STUN server is preferable?

If 3CX "sees" your device(s) as a pubilc IP + (correct) port, without enabling STUN, then that says you probably don't need it, but, many devices do, if they are simply sitting behind a router. Again, a number of factors come into play. It's not necessarily the same for every site. Leaving STUN enabled should not have any detrimental affect.

Hello,

Yes 3Cx sees my devices with Stun disabled. However, i have some problems with audio not coming from one side or both sides now. I guess this is the downside of not using VPN with correct ports setup.

This will be my next challenge.
If anyone has any advice on how to set this up - will be very great full.
Thank you very much for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.