Connecting two gateway in different location over internet

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by virgel07, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virgel07

Good Day!

Sir i just want to ask if it is possible, i want to connect two gateway via internet connection. I'm using Grandstream GXW4104 for my gateway and 3cx Phone System V.11 Free Edition. What i want is, if our customer call to our 1st office, it can be forwarded to our 2nd office in an extension line via internet connection. Our offices have their own telephone area code and it is a long distance call.

Thanks in advance.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: Connecting two gateway in different location over intern

You didn't quite give the whole picture. What is at the other office that you expect the other gateway to connect into?

You should check with Grandstream on their website as they have some whitepapers and documentation about the various applications and scenarios by which their gateways can be used to extend lines.

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are talking about having 3CX in one location (with it's own local gateway), and then connecting a remote gateway, in a second city/location, then generally, yes, it's possible. A lot will depend on the network set-up at each end (static IP?), and the options on the make of gateway you plan on using at the remote location.

What you are trying to do is no different than a remote server hosted 3CX installation, with only the sets and a gateway located at the customer location.

You will probably have some issues if you intend on continuing to run with the free edition.

4. RichardCrabb1

RichardCrabb1 New Member

Hi,
    There are two ways that you could do this:-
    1. Use a VPN to the location where the remote gateway is based. It's likely that you will need to replace the router to do this at each end. The Draytek 2830 would work well. Make sure that quality of service is setup to prioritise voice over other traffic
    2. Connect the remote gateway directly to the Internet. To do this you will need to obtain additional IP addresses from your ISP, and connect the gateway one of these static IP addresses.

I hope that helps
    Richard Crabb

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

It may be easier to use SIP Proxy manager if, or provision handsets at remote locations as external extensions. or AS you stated simply make a PTP using routers and provision handsets as on the LAN.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.