Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Connexion between 2 sites, using vpn or proxy

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bluetel2, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

Hi all,

i have 3cx server in site 1. on site 2 we have 3 phones.
    we want to connect phone on site 2 to server on site 1. except snom and openvpn, and routeur vpn, do you know good mean to connect them ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

Or a sip phone able to connect with 3cx tunnel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

In all cases it's better to use any kind of VPN tunnel or a VLAN between sites. This should be your first priority. Using a tunnel will increase also security and in some cases will provide QoS -- depending on router(s). If applicable you may use 3CX tunnel (with 3CX softphones or 3CX proxy server). Nevertheless 3CX tunnel is not providing security, it solves most NAT/firewall issues.

Using STUN / NAT may be more complicated and not fully universal, as some routers use different NAT models and firewall may block specific ports / services (second priority).

Using MirkoTik routers like RB750GL is a good and inexpensive choice for connecting sites (supports many types of tunnels, incl. OpenVPN and IPsec and has many options, incl. support of BGP, MPLS, etc.)

Hope this answers your question, if I understood you correctly.

Regards

4. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

Tks for your reply.

do you have test 3cx Proxy server with v10 ? because in v9 some bugs exist, and services crash sometimes.

tks advance

5. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any problems with proxy server and Version 10 (I think the proxy server didn't changed).
    I always prefer to use VPN tunnel between sites, not 3CX proxy server. There are several reasons for this:

- need for a PC to run it (sometimes this is an issue)
    - no way to provide QoS (sometimes this may be very important)
    - not possible to run 3CX MyPhone application
    - no security (encryption) of tunnel (could be necessary / preferred)
    - problems with some phone (Aastra)

Meanwhile I'm quite satisfied with MikroTik routers -- inexpensive (about € 50.-/$70. for RB750GL) and feature-rich, you can easily set various tunnels like pseudo-wire, GRE, PPTP, L2TP, IPsec, OpenVPN, etc., implement prioritization of VoIP traffic, load balancing, etc., even BGP, OSPF support. Normally you have this functionality in routers which are more than 10 times more expensive (Cisco, Juniper, Huawei).

Regards

6. nbailey

nbailey Member

This is possible, however not through the SIP Proxy Manager. I connect to the MyPhone remotely all the time no problems.

Thanks,
    Nate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.