Converting from Elastix to 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by xeroendo, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeroendo

I'm trying to set up 3CX to take over our elastix system. The SIP provider we have isn't on the list of supported providers yet, since it's a small town. I've spoken with their support and they have gotten it running correctly under their test environment. When I configure 3CX, I'm able to make outgoing calls but incoming doesn't work. Any suggestions from anyone as to what might be causing that? I've racked my brain and searched all over for an answer but haven't been able to find one.
    The SIP Trunk is just IP authenticated, so externally it just sees our IP. I also can't seem to find a place to put the info below in 3CX. If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be be greatly appreciated.

type=friend
    host=[IP of Provider]
    sendrpid=pai
    insecure=very
    dtmfmode=inband
    disallow=all
    context=from-trunk
    allow=ulaw&alaw
    qualify=yes
    canreinvite=no
    deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    permit=[IP of Provider]
    alwaysauthreject=yes

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So if they've gotten it running in their test environment, I'd recommend asking them for a copy of their settings. But even with every other setting screwed up, as long as you had the port open on your firewall and they were sending it to the correct IP you would at least see the incoming calls hitting the PBX. Do you see them?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xeroendo

I don't see them coming in at all. The tech there did the same configuration on our end and we weren't able to get it working. He had used the "Fusiono Connect (IP Based)" provider and just inputted the information from their SIP, which worked for them internally. The firewall test passes everything, and I even tried setting the DMZ to the pbx as well but still didn't get incoming. On our Elastix system, incoming settings are completely blank, register string as well, since it's IP based it's never needed them. He did let me know that there isn't a registration, just an authentication string to allow calls.

4. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

So either they aren't sending to the right IP address or a firewall somewhere (edge or host) is blocking it. Even without a trunk configured you would see incoming SIP traffic if it hit your PBX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @xeroendo

run a wireshark capture on the PBX to see if the calls are even hitting your installation. If they do then you should get an idea why the calls are failing. If not then i would ask the provider why the calls are failing. They should be able to run a capture on their side and see what the issue is. The best option however is try with a supported provider. Create a free account with a supported provider and try a few test calls. If those work then you should switch providers.

6. xeroendo

I see now that the problem is that we aren't "registering" with them somehow. Even though they say it does not require registration to receive calls, it is still not working with the 3cx system somehow. The old Elastix still works, but can't figure out the 3CX version. We were able to get outgoing calls but not incoming. We couldn't figure out where to put the settings for Elastix into the 3CX system. I followed the instructions here https://www.elastix.org/docs/converter-tool/ but don't get Step 4, since I don't have the DID csv or any way that I can tell to get it. I'm going to try and leave the old system running and use that as a gateway to use 3CX in conjunction using this tutorial https://www.elastix.org/docs/elastix-pstn-card-gateway-3cx/ .

7. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Ummm you said the old Elastix system still works. So it sounds like your firewall is forwarding SIP to your old PBX and not 3CX. IP authenticated trunks are not hard to setup. Basically you give the provider your public IP address and you put their server in the host field of the trunk. The provider will accept all calls from the public IP you gave them, and the provider will send all calls to the IP you provided. You can't have two PBXs on the same trunk/IP.

8. xeroendo

Oh sorry, I meant to say that the old elastix box works fine when it is turned on. While I'm testing with the 3CX system, the elastix is completely off the network and shut down.

9. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Is the 3CX box on the same IP address as the Elastix box?

10. xeroendo

Yes, when the elastix is off the network I make the 3CX the same IP. All the firewall tests on it pass correctly and I can make outgoing calls, just not incoming. Our voip provider is thinking of putting up another trunk for us to test, and we can use our elastix system in the meantime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.