Correctly configuring Multiple Extension on 1 Phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by redmondsau, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmondsau

I have configured several phones that each have multiple extensions.

I am using 3CX 12 and Cisco SPA504G phones. I noticed that the phone defaults to having a different SIP port for each extension. ie. Ext 1 = SIP port 5060. Ext 2 = SIP port 5061 etc.

I changed this so that all extensions are connecting on Port 5060. They appear to work although haven't tested simultaneous calls. Is this correct or should each ext use a different port.

All phones/ all extensions are connecting to the same 3CX server, from different locations using SBC.

Thanks

redmonds

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Ideally, they should each have their own local SIP port.

Not all devices are created equal and while the extension number itself should be adequate to differentiate the extensions from one another, some devices do not handle this very well. The issue is that you have a device with one IP address and the system is sending the messages for all three extensions to the same IP and port which may cause problems.

Ideally, each extension will register to 3CX using the common port of 5060, but then each extension should have a different local SIP port so as to provide for a more reliable path to each extension. You might notice that account 1 may have had 5060, account 2 was 5062, etc., which is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.