• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Could someone clarify the difference between caller ID reformatting and outbound rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Forum User
Reaction score
I'm looking to enable my users to make calls to local numbers without dialing the local prefix.

i.e. say our locality has a prefix of 01234 and local numbers could be anything from 1000 to 9999999.

1. I see two possibilities one is to setup caller ID reformatting for outgoing calls catching any dialed number starting with 1-9 and prefixing it with 01234. https://www.3cx.com/docs/cid-reformatting/
  2. The second method I see is to go to outbound rules, create a rule that matches numbers starting with 1-9 and add the prefix 01234 https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/sip-trunks/

I don''t want to disrupt my system with tests, can someone clarify what the difference between these two methods is?

Caller ID reformatting is where you want a standard format incoming number or your own telephone number on outbound calls, i.e. change +4401234 123456 to 0044 01234 123456

You need outbound rules, as without them the system will not be able to route outgoing calls correctly.

Guessing you are in the UK, as you need to add prefix 01234. just create a rule for length of six (uk number are 6 digits long except certain cities) and prepend 01234. This rule has to be at the top, as rules are process top to bottom.

@eddv123 you do realize that the links you posted were posted by me too? I read those back and forth but those only explain HOW and not WHEN or WHY to use each method.

@Saqqara
  • the examples or prefixes I gave were just samples.
  • I know I need outbound rules, I do have one which catches all calls from my default extension group, does not do anything with those calls except route them through a trunking provider.
  • the example you gave with a rule for numbers with a length of 6 does not work for my requirement stated above
Let me clarify my first initial question with more details:

I am in Germany, country prefix +49
my local prefix has a length of 5 digits.
local numbers have a length of 4 to 7 digits as far as I have figured out but this is quite irrelevant.

According to E.164 standards the maximal length of a number is 15 digits.
15 - 2 (the country code 49) = 13 digits
The remaining 13 digits could be:
a) 3 digit local prefix 040 + local number
b) 4 digit local prefix 0331 + local number
c) 5 digit local prefix 09471 + local number

There are localities in Germany with a prefix consisting of 3,4 or 5 digits.

Here is what currently works:
a) dialing +49 + local prefix+ local number
b) dialing 0049 + local prefix+ local number
c) dialing local prefix + local number

What does not work:
dialing local number

Why? Because 3Cx simply dials the local number and my trunking provider doesn't see any prefix so it simply puts a +49 in front of it hence I need 3cx to apply a local prefix to any number starting with 1 to 9

So back to my question, do I do this using caller ID reformatting or outbound rules?
I hope I have managed to clarify my initial question.

You need to setup outbound rules, to cover all the instances of what numbers can be dialled by the end user

Create an outbound rule for local calls with length containing 4,5,6,7 (you can have multiple entries), and prepend your local prefix

If you have read and fully understood the links and still need more information let me try and explain a little more.

Call-ID Reformatting:

First thing, it is split into 2 categories and I am going to explain both for clarity:

- Incoming CID Formatting

- Outgoing CID Formatting

Incoming CID Formatting:

If you have a rule in this section it is applied to every incoming call coming in through the Trunk/PSTN Gateway you have applied the rule to.

Outgoing CID Formatting:

This is not clearly stated, but if you have rules in this section they only get applied if a call comes into the system and then is redirected through the Trunk/PSTN Gateway you have applied the rule to.

Simply put, Incoming CID Formatting is applied on every call coming in while Outgoing CID Formatting is only applied on a call that came into the system and then goes out again.
Outgoing CID formatting is not applied when an extension dials an external number directly.

This is where outbound rules differ. I can give some Call-ID reformatting examples if you wish .....

Thank you both, your replies were very helpful and clarified things now that I have given you more context to my question. There is however still one question remaining but maybe more info is required:

This instance of 3CX is routing all outgoing calls through a single trunk provider hence I could add my local prefix in two ways:
  1. by adding an outgoing CID formatting rule (which ads my local prefix) to this trunk
  2. by creating an outbound rule (which ads my local prefix) and applies to all calls going through this trunk which

So we're back to the question of which solution should I use? (Or am I having a very blonde moment and the answer is obvious to everyone except me right now?)

Hello @ovizii

Let me try to explain the difference.

The outbound caller ID reformatting reformats the caller ID you are presenting to the provider not the number you are calling.

The outbound rules allow you to reformat the called number, so in your case you need to use the outbound rules.

As my last post, I stated you needed an outbound rule

Hello @ovizii

Let me try to explain the difference.

The outbound caller ID reformatting reformats the caller ID you are presenting to the provider not the number you are calling.

The outbound rules allow you to reformat the called number, so in your case you need to use the outbound rules.
YES! I finally got it! Sorry for taking so long, I was really not getting the difference between these two mechanisms :-(

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply to this thread.

Glad we could assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.