Courtesy Phone Setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lisa, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lisa

I am having a few problems getting a courtesy phone set up. Here is the behavior I want:

1. The phone cannot make outgoing calls (local, international, etc)
    2. The phone can call internal extensions (all are 3 digits)
    3. The phone cannot call 911
    4. External calls cannot call this phone. They will be redirected to the digital receptionist instead.
    5. Internal extensions can call this phone.

I've been able to disable external calls and the phone can call internal extensions (points 1 and 2). I think I have also disabled emergency calling, but obviously can't test that (point 3). As for points 4 and 5, I have been able to redirect external calls to the digital receptionist successfully, but am having issues allowing internal extension to call the phone. I had this feature working a couple weeks back, but it isn't working now (I've been doing a lot of work in 3cx, so I can't remember everything I've changed).

Right now, I have it setup in the Forwarding Rule Extensions that caller ids for any of the internal extensions will redirect to a ring group which only includes the courtesy phone extension and all others will be redirected to the digital receptionist.I thought this is how I had it set up previously, but now I'm not so sure...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to implement this feature?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Points 1,2,and 3 can usually be handled by the internal dialplans on most ATA's and VoIP phones. It saves you having to modify the outbound rules in 3CX just for the one extension.
    I'm assuming that you have DID trunks, as I'm wondering how else an outside call would reach the extension other than a transfer. If you do have DID's then could you not create an extension number for the set, that is outside of your DID range? Then it could still be dialled internally but not by a DID call.

3. lisa

Hi leejor

Thanks for your response.

Can you tell me how to handle points 1-3 using internal dial plans or point me in the direction of some sources so I can read up on this? I haven't heard of it before.

As for the DIDs, are they the entries in the Inbound Rules section? I don't have any if that is the case...

Thanks!

Lisa

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This would depends upon the VoIP device you were planning to use. I'm most familiar with some Linksys/Cisco phones and ATA's, most, if not all, allow you to create an internal dialplan that can restrict dialled digits, or, speed up the connection time of others. You would have to determine if the devices your are going to use (or purchase) have this ability. If you havd a device such as this you could create a very simple dialplan that would only allow calls to other extensions (or even certain extensions) , and/or the operator.

If you have no DID trunks, then how would you expect an external call to reach the set? I would assume that it would not be a part of a ring group. Unless there is a way (DID trunk) where an outside party can dial an extension directly, then the only way it could receive an outside call is if someone transferred a call to it. Trying to block a call such as that would be pushing the paranoia envelope a bit.

5. lisa

The phone I am looking at using for this purpose is a Cisco 7912G-A. I'll take a look at the manual if I can find it and see if I can find what you are talking about.

External calls could reach the number via the digital receptionist. The extension shows up on the phone's display and our phone number is public, so all the information is available for someone to call the phone.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unless the extension is available as a option in the DR then they won't reach the set that way. If people calling in to the DR can then dial extension directly then...don't put the extension number on the set, and make it very different from the others. if you use extensions 200 to 299, then make the courtesy set extension 452. Someone trying to call in from the outside could not possibly guess the number and the only way someone using the set would know what extension they were calling from would be to phone someone else in the office and ask what number shows up on their display. If you are currently (or planning) on using a set, with a display (the 7912G?), that shows the originating extension number, then I would suggest perhaps using an ATA with an analogue telephone instead.

You could also set the extension to call forward all external calls direct to voicemail (disable voicemail retrieval or put in a password), have a message such as "we're sorry this extension is unable to accept calls it this time", or something like that.

7. lisa

Thanks!

I've done a bit of looking around and might use a different phone. We have an Aastra 51i that isn't being used right now, so we might end up using that. I still need to look into it further as I haven't provisioned one of these phones before. I'll keep you posted with how things go!

8. armans

Hi.
    could you please help:
    I want to block an extension from being dialed by external calls but allowing internal calls on 3cx (version11).

Thanks

9. mixig

mixig Active Member

dont forward external number to that extension in inbound rule :D

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Why are you "high-jacking" an old post on an unrelated topic? You should begin your own thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.