Crazy mysterious on hold music

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by macgyverated, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macgyverated

Hello all,

I have a nagging issue with my 3CX system and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. It has to do with the on hold music feature of 3CX, and the documentation makes almost no reference to this feature aside from commenting that it has music on hold. The built-in hold music is dreadful (to the point that several customers a week will make negative comments) and I need to change it. Here's my scenario:

3CX Version 9 SP5 running on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit box.

Cisco SPA509G phones

There is a place under the "Settings>General" directory of the 3CX management console that allows you to change the on hold music, and at first glance seems about as straight forward as one could hope. In a fresh installation, when you click the "browse" button next to any one of the 5 music on hold listings, a window will open to the 3CX music directory and allow you to choose a music file (you can also navigate to other directories within this window). The stock installation has just one shown, which is "onhold.wav". If you manually copy other .wav files into that directory you can choose those as well. This is what I have done, and I now have 5 .wav files selected set to play at random on each call and that works... sort of.

I have the 4 lower line buttons on the phones configured to access to access each of four call park orbits within 3CX (SP0 through SP3).

Here's the weird part. If I place a call in a park orbit, I'll get one of my 5 chosen songs played. Awesome. However, if I use the actual "Hold" button on the phone, the caller hears some sort of slow acoustic guitar track. I have been unsuccessful in determining why this track is heard or ascertaining its location directory. I've manually gone through the entire directory structures related to 3CX under the C: drive, and have even performed a computer wide search for any .wav files to no avail. I have already looked at the documentation for the Cisco phones, and there is no mention that I can find of some sort of hold music built in to the phones themselves.

This is driving me crazy! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

By the way, the "normal" directory for the built-in 3CX music is,

C:>ProgramData>3CX>Data>Ivr>Prompts

There is also,

C:>ProgramData>3CX>Data>Recordings but there are never any files in there.

2. wzaatar

That does sound like a phone-related issue and not a 3CX one.

What's your phone firmware version?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. macgyverated

Currently, the firmware is 7.4.6
    However, I had the same problem a few weeks ago before I upgraded to that firmware version. I believe the previous version 7.3.1

4. pstulac

I am having the same issue.... Even using the 3CX phone on windows. I have a message into the reseller to see if this can be fixed as I am holding off purchasing until I can resolve. Oh and FYI...I am running version 10 with SP2 but this was an issue at SP 1.1 as well.

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

"unknown" music on hold is provided by VoIP provider or by PSTN gateway.
    To avoid it, you need to configure connection with provider/gateway as "supports re-Invites=off" and "supports replaces"=off
    "supports re-Invites=off" and "supports replaces"=off are the standard settings for VoIP providers and you should not change them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pstulac

Exactly correct, I had come to that conclusion early this morning after changing everything else; changing the settings just as you have indicated fixed the issue (in my case I had only re-invites supported turned on). Thanks for your response, and hopefully this will help others who come across the same issue.

7. netswork

netswork Active Member

Pstulac,

So the on hold music was coming from your voip provider or gateway?

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Many (all?) Linksys/Cisco SIP phones/ATA's have a built in hold "music".

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

They have no chance to alter MOH.
    Only PSTNgateway(telco)/Voip provider

10. pstulac

Yes...the onhold music was coming from my provider.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.