Custom message on failed calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by twisted1, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twisted1

Anyone have any ideas on how to program 3CX so that I can direct calls that fail to a planned message/recording? It confuses the heck out of people when they do things like dial an international number when this is disabled or live in an area like Atlanta that requires a 1 when dialing the area code in a local zone. Now it just hangs up on them. A land line would at least give you a message like "The number you have dialed cannot be reached at this time" or whatever...

2. IoannisM_3CX

IoannisM_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @twisted1

Unfortunately there is noting you can do from the PBX side, the message that is generated comes from your provider.
    You could contact the provider and ask them to use a prompt in order to indicate the error.

Thank you

3. twisted1

Is this a limitation of our SPECIFIC SIP provider or of SIP in general?

4. IoannisM_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, limitations of your provider are not something that i can assist you with, but do kindly note that this is not a limitation of SIP in general.

Thank you

5. twisted1

I don't want to put you in a position where you are advocating specific SIP providers or denigrating others but can you point me to something or somewhere that would explain what options exist between different providers? Currently we have issues where lines with Diversion Headers are rejected by 3CX, Calls to unsupported locals (International) get a 403 Forbidden and rejected, 10 digit calling in zones where 11 digit is required dropping - All with no message back to the user. I have no way of knowing myself if this is a general SIP issue I would have regardless of carrier or if it is a 3CX limitation etc...

6. IoannisM_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, 3CX is trying to cooperate with as much as more providers. At the moment you can check the supported providers that are tested for their functionality with PBX, when adding a new trunk in SIP Trunks, if there is non for your country, you could use the worldwide option. This providers are tested as i said, but that does not mean that everyone has this feature nor that they provide the same features between them. The test is checking if they can work with 3CX PBX.

So for the features of every provider, unfortunately i cannot help you, you'll have to come in contact with them, or try to find a manual online if they do provide one.

Thank you

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Will your provider accept all numbers with a 1 prefix (11 digits)? if so, then send them all that way using the outbound rules.
    If the provider is sending back a "usable" SIP message, then perhaps a more flexible way of dealing with that is worth a look.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/number-not-available-free-tone.50920/#post-208352

twisted1 likes this.
  8. twisted1

I will check with them on this. That would be nice as I was writting rules currently for the 5 area codes in Atlanta so if I can do it with one rule that will save me management overhead and work. Will look into link you sent as well. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.