DB access on .xlsx file through ODBC.

Discussion in 'CRM / Helpdesk / App Integration' started by BesOn, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BesOn

Hello. I am trying to access excel spreadsheet by Database Access. I downloaded driver for ODBC Excel, installed drivers for Windows Database Access 2010.

I want to connect to the file sort it and get unknown cell value. I tried get count of row.

SELECT count(*) FROM [CustomersSheet$] WHERE id='1' .

In compilation I want to play result of database access
    databaseAccessComponent1.QueryResult
    databaseAccessComponent1.ScalarResult

Tried both. Did work. (

Will appreciate any help.

P.S.: Office version: 2010 32 bit
    File format report.xlsx

Attached Files:

2. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi there,

Please check this article that shows how to do that:
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/vad-phone-support-portal-4/

And pay special attention to the important notes regarding x64 operating systems. As far as I can see in the screenshot, you're in a 64 bits operating system, but Microsoft only provides 32 bits drivers. Then, the VAD application will not find the ODBC data source. In that case, it's better to export the data to a CSV file and read the information from there.

Kind regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BesOn

Edossantos, thank you for your reply. I read all this 4 topics about building IVR :) How I can check that my 3CX VAD sees this file? When I try to connect it through ODBC it appears in gray color and could not be selected...

4. BesOn

What about Oracle DB's? How it can be connected on 3CX? Should I install driver on server, like ODBC? In window
    "Database Access Configuration" I can see only Data Source. Server and Database unavailable.

Thank you.

5. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Please check the following article regarding VAD app troubleshooting:
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/troubleshooting-vad-applications/

If the ODBC datasource can't be found, you will see a file named "Errors_DatabaseAccess.log" inside your app folder, for example "%ProgramData%\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\ivr\ProjectName_BuildNumber\Errors_DatabaseAccess.log". That file will explain the issue.

But for sure, your sceenshot shows the platform "32-bit" for the datasource "report", so the VAD app which runs as a 64 bits app will not see it. And Microsoft doesn't provide 64-bits ODBC drivers for Excel, so it will not work...

In regards to Oracle, you can install Oracle client libraries in the 3CX server, and then you have 2 options: connect via ODBC or connect via native Oracle client library. This second option is preferable as it's more performing. Oracle provides 32 and 64 bits libraries, so it will work.

Kind regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BesOn

Okay, thank you for enhanced answer. Will try to access on oracle database in that case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.