Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Delay after call-pickup

Discussion in 'iOS' started by ckatterl, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckatterl

Hello,

especially (I am not sure if only) on iOS i discovered the problem, that after call-pickup via the PhoneApp it takes several seconds until I can hear the caller. Sometimes, the caller thinks something is not working and hangs up.....

I am using 3CX 15.5 SP2 (had the issue on older versions too).

Any ideas?

BR, Christian

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Christian

This is somehow out of our control, being involved two things handled straight by the iOS: the soundcard and the CallKit:

- first, the soundcard - mainly the microphone - is opened by the iOS, and this is (and was) a slow operation; the most visible (well, audible) case is when you open a bluetooth.
    - second, the CallKit is not a passive, UI-only, engine - it's a very active one; it is the one who opens the soundcard when it decides it's the best moment (for instance, only when app has enough privileges to access the soundcard) then pass it to the app.

For both these cases, we don't have control over them; we can try to improve/optimize around them, but that's all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ckatterl

Although i hoped, to get an answer like "please reconfigure...." thanks for your response :)

BR, Christian

4. compucraft

@Vali_3CX What should we tell users who bring this issue up then? Is the best advice to tell them to wait for a second or two to say "hello" when answering a call via iOS? I hear folks in my office saying "hello, hello, hello" when picking up a call, presumably because the callkit engine has not fully connected them to the caller yet.

5. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @compucraft
    First, please try the beta 15.2.12.301 - there is some improvement. But, apart from this, less than two seconds we cannot reduce that delay (at least with what current iOS provides us).
    Thanks
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 Vali_3CX, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  6. Otto Lodewijk

As an addition to this thread, we are also noticing this with almost all iOS-users (version: most recent production version). I understand you need to work around the Apple CallKit. Still, it's confusing users. It would be very handy to let them 'know' when they can speak.
    For example, a short tone, to let users know the call is now connected? (Example: Jabra Evolve 75 headset which also does this)

7. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Otto
    Please try also the current Beta 15.2.12.301, available on TestFlight, to see if the delay has been reduced.
    Thanks

8. Otto Lodewijk

Hi Vali,

Could you PM me with one (or multiple) TestFlight codes? The registration process on the 3CX webpage doesn't send me an e-mail on my Apple account (Gmail address).
    I'd be happy to test the beta release along with a few key users!

Regards,
    Otto

9. ChrisR

Hi,

It seems i have a similar issue, but with a bigger delay than 2 seconds.

Situation:
    3CX V 15.5.6354.2
    The call i made for the test are only 3CX internal call (between 2 extension).
    Call Recipient is an Iphone IOS 11.2.1 with Wireless Connected to same network than 3CX with latest 3CX App. The Phone is Locked.
    When i call this Iphone from a T42G or from an 3CX Android App the Iphone need 8 seconds between the time you swipe to answer and the time it stop ringing and take the call on the T42G or 3CX Android App.

Additional Tests:
    If the Iphone is unlocked and the App is in the background it's the same.
    If the App is open (on the screen) when the call arrive i have only 2 seconds delay which is "acceptable".
    If the Iphone is locked and on 4G (no wireless) i have bigger delays.

Users complain about this issue since about september 2017
    What can i do do avoid these big delays?

#9 ChrisR, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  10. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Chris
    In the next few days, we plan to release a new version which - according to the feedback we got from our customers who tried the beta version - seems to have this issue solved. So please have a little patience, we'll announce and we'll update this topic as well.
    Thanks
    vali

11. ChrisR

Thanks for your quick Feedback. I will wait.

12. ckatterl

Hello,

with the current version (15.2.12.314), it seems, that there has been a huge improvement. Looks good for me now.

BR, Christian

13. paurus

15.2.12.314 this is a beta?

14. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@paurus
    Yes, it's the latest beta. .316 is waiting for Apple approval to be the official release.

@ckatterl
    Christian, thanks for the good feedback!

15. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

OK, 15.2.12.316 is available on AppStore, so you can check if the issue is solved - please let us know.

Thanks
    vali

jed likes this.
  16. Luke Turner

Hi Vali, it takes at least 2 rings from receiving a call we have found the ios device , is there anything else that can be tweaked on 3CX side to make this faster ? We are on latest 15.2.12.316. We have about 40 iphone clients currently and growing.

Thanks Luke
    Excel Telecom

17. ChrisR

Hi,
    We tried the new App and it's really better but, there is always a delay, about 2-3 seconds, between the time we accept the call on the 3CX App for Iphone and the time the call is really taken.

What can we tweak to reduce this time (not the push time which is ok, 2sec)?

18. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@Luke Turner @ChrisR
    There are no known tweaks for this. We'll work for tuning but I would not expect great improvements, since (as I described earlier in this topic) 2-3 seconds is close to the iOS soundcard's opening time, which we cannot control. However, as usual, when we'll have some news we'll announce and update this topic.
    Thanks.
    vali

19. ChrisR

@Vali_3CX
    You mean that since the Microphone is not open no signal is sent to 3CX Server to say the call is taken?

20. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

No, that has nothing to do. Put it this way:
    - when you swipe the slider to answer, basically you don't send anything to the app - you send to the iOS via CallKit; then later (at iOS's discretion) app will get notified when it can answer the call and when it can access the soundcard; trying to access the soundcard prior this generates a device "access denied - not enough privileges" error because iOS didn't elevated the (background) app to required rights. On top af all these delays add the time required to open the soundcard. I mentioned some time ago - the soundcard issue is consistent since we started development of the client, on iOS 4. Better than this I cannot explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.