Delay in the talk

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by landfiets, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landfiets

landfiets New Member

Hi there.

I experience some delay in the talking with the other party. It is only when the other party is external. I noticed it with several people so it is my problem here. When I speak they hear it a second later. Quality of the sound is good but the delay is not nice. It is not an echo or something.
    please tell me what to change.

I use an SPA962 with this 3CX software

i allready checked the box for bind with mediaserver and external.
    unchecking it made no difference.

The strange thing is when I put my SPA962 directly on the internet without the 3CX software ande handling its own lines, there is no problem with delay. Only when the 3CX is between the phone and the other phone there are delays.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

See post:

http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1811

or

http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1823

See if that helps if not get back to us.

3. landfiets

landfiets New Member

delay

in the posts you linked to me there were no solutions.
    it was a former post also from me.
    i'm really talking about a few seconds delay.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok.

Is it at the start of the call or during the call each time you talk and the other person talks. Like in the old days.

5. landfiets

landfiets New Member

delay

It is during the talk. Sometimes I hear myself again and the other party is reacting after they heard my repeat. Most of the time the talk starts good, and the reply of the other person is almost immediately. After a short while the delay gets worse.

I use the SPA-962 from Linksys together with 3CX. Is it in the phone, the phonesystem or have you any idea.

The quality of the sound itself is excellent.
    Should I try different codec?

Lovely Weekend

@win

6. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Just try to check your scenario but use following rules (for both parties of call):
    1. Use handset for hardware phone
    2. Use headset for software phone

Do you still have the same problem?

Thanks,
    Stepan

7. landfiets

landfiets New Member

same problem.

how can i reduce jitter in CX3

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your problem does not sound like jitter.

If you think it is jitter, that is something that is not controlled by 3cx. It is a network issue. Try to introduce QoS. See if that helps.

9. landfiets

landfiets New Member

sorry no idea. What is QoS?
    Help me through it

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmmm i figured if you know what jitter is you would know what QoS is.

QoS is quality of service. this is a little tag on the data packet to allow networks to identify which packet they have to send first if there is a delay or maxing out of the network.

Good network design allocates different bandwidth allowances to different QoS/ToS and the like.

What we need to establish with your problem is how the call goes eg:

hello ==== hello
    or
    h==e==l==l==o

The bottom one can be due to jitter (like you mentioned) the top one however has other causes.

The top one hints towards other problems, as the full datapacket (hello) is transmitted. but than there is a "black spot".

Based upon what you say, I assume it is a black spot, it can also be that your PC cannot keep up with the MediaServer requests.

So what to do:
    - The usual stuff to keep the PC running smooth defrag etc make sure that your virus scanner is not hogging the voice packets.
    - install the latest directX
    - tune VAD
    - tun CNG better turn it off as it does not work well with the G711

Hope this helps.

11. landfiets

landfiets New Member

now we r getting somewhere........yippy

It is the first one as you thought.
    Question: What is VAD, en What is CNG

The telephone call goes like this.....
    It starts with normal talking and after a minute or so, the talking and hearing goes way out of eachother. So on the start of the call everything is fine. But slowly the delay gets worse. In my worst scenario today it was 5 whole seconds. I counted it with the other party.

I donnot use a virusscanner. I am running Windows server 2003. And the 3CX software is the only software on the computer. The talks intern in the house itself is also with delay.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ahh,

So the delay is happening internal and external. that is good, now we can rule out the ATA.

It looks like it might be your box.

Make sure you have the correct codecs installed on you phone aswell G711.

Check your HD performance, make sure it is running smooth.

Install the latest directx

13. landfiets

landfiets New Member

i did all of that allready
    latest direct x etc.

the intern phonecalls also have delays but not as worse as the extern, but still 2 to 3 secs.

And what is importnat that when I used my SPA962 without any 3CX but on its own, there was no delay at all noticable. It was always good.

So it must be in the computer or the 3cx software or installation.

To get an idea about this you good give me a call.
    I can send you my number by privat message

14. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

What else do you have on the network? How many users? are you using the LAN port on the 962 to go the workstations? What switch(s) are you using?

Can you check the NIC card on the server? Performance monitor would be a good start if you don't have any other LAN tools. What % is it running at when there are no calls and when there are calls?

I'm testing on a PIII, 512 meg RAM, raid 5 scsi server. Windows Server 2003 SP2. From there that goes into an 8 port Linksys POE switch with 2 942 phones attached, to a NetGear 16 port 10/100 switch (no POE or QOS), to another 24 port Linksys switch (again no PoE or QOS), to cable router. Not the best situation I know, but with the exception of a couple jitter issues at the call start, which is very rare, I have perfect call quality.
    This is just a testing setup. I do plan on taking those older switches out of the network. Just have to drill some holes and run some cable.

Clients I'm going to install 3CX on have real servers and clean 1 switch networks, so I'm hopefull of even better performance.

Rob Lloyd

15. landfiets

landfiets New Member

I have my computer in the SPA962. But before I used the 3CX it was never a problem.

I have the latest RHINE II drivers for my network card.

I use an AMD 1900+ with 512 MB Ram with a 32 Gb HD.
    There's only one switch between the whole thing and that is a small one from Sweex.

I have about 10 extensions and 7 lines. Everything is VOIP, so no POTS

The delay is always. Even when I call an extension.

16. Ralph

Ralph Member

hi a couple questions.

You have a 32 gig hard drive.

How much freespace do you have?

How fragmented is the drive?

The reason I ask is that it sounds as though there may be a performance issue with the server itself.

I think you also mentioned that you don't have any anti-virus on the server? Is it possible it has been infected with a virus or malware and this is dragging down your performance?

If none of the above are issues then I would reccomend opening up performance and running some counters to get a feel for where the bottleneck might be.

17. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

there should be a setting somewhere called "JITTER BUFFER".

Basically if this is set to 5000ms, media server awaits / delays / or affords 5 seconds to reorganize packets in order for transmission.

I am checking this with my colleagues however I need more information.

Question - Why are internal extensions binded to media server? This is a fallback and a redundant (extra) point.
    If you call 999 therefore starting IVR / dig rec, is the delay noticeable?

From where are external parties calling to (locations / countries)
    Regards

18. landfiets

landfiets New Member

there is no delay when calling the own Voicemail.

and please tell me where to change the jitter buffer.
    I tried it in my SPA962, but there it didn't change a thing.

Maybe in the software itself it should be changed.

Thanks

Edwin

19. landfiets

landfiets New Member

I tested the performance.
    On the server the performance table was pointing out some peaks.
    I called my own number from my cell and as soon as the Digital Assistant works every dtmf option I choose gives a peak in the Processor and Pages/sec to almost 70%
    The Harddisk peaks only a little to 20%.

So is it a processor problem? Should I change something in Windows itself?
    Should I change the "background" to "programs" ?
    Something like that?

Edwin

20. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I tested my "server" (the P-III mentioned earlier). Hard drive didn't do anything. CPU went from 2% to 30% as a spike but quickly dropped to under 10%. Memory didn't do anything at all. NIC went from .2% to .4% with the first call and stayed pretty flat at .4%. 2nd incoming call it from from .4% to .6% and stayed flat for both calls.

Tested again using the Digital Assistant and I did see higher spikes on the CPU but just quick spikes, nothing the old machine couldn't handle. NIC went to .9%. Again, hardly anything.

I'm feeling more confident in putting this on a new production Small Business Server.

Checkout your machine. If you can add memory that might be helpful. Without any calls open how much RAM free do you have? Make a call and check how much RAM you have free then. You don't want to be using a pagefile since that goes to your hard drive. As ITfarmer suggested - checkdisk & defrag might help.

What OS are you using?
    What you want is Background priority or in the middle. Changing it to programs will only make local running programs (Word, Outlook, IE, etc) run better. 3CX is all services so background would be correct.

Quick suggestions to try:
    1) Add memory
    2) Add a 2nd hard drive - move 3cx to it or move the pagefile to it.

I'm learning the VoIP part but have been in the computer/network field for almost 20 years.

Rob Lloyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.