Demo License on VMWare

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Drew, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

I have installed 3CX demo version on my work laptop on a MWare Server instance. I have full internet access but keep failing to register with the license key (Could not connect to license key server - please check internet connection). I have check IE security as I wonder if that could be the issue where sites are being blocked. I have added *://*ecx.com to the permitted sites but wonder if the license is on another site so I am blocking it. Any thoughts anyone ?

2. smb1

smb1 New Member

Point 1 - you really should be using a virtualization platform that uses hardware assist. Hyper-V or ESXi

Point 2 - What OS are you using and have you used either the OS firewall or a hardware firewall to lock down your Internet connection? sounds like you have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Drew

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not familiar with Hyper-V or ESXi but see that ESXi is VMWare. Does that provide the features of VMware server and can I run previous virtual machines onto it or load OS from a vmx file and associated VMDK files ? I used VMWare server as it was free and is what some other colleagues used previously.
    The OS I am using is 20003 server and this is a company build of the OS that suppliers would install on purchased hardware. This covered any licensing issues. The laptop does have firewall software however I configured the VMware instance such that it does have internet access and I can freely browse through my laptop connection and connection Script in IE. I hoped this wold be ok however keep getting the Connection error. I did consider the firewall as well but don't have a lot of access to make changes to it locally. I added 3cx into the IE settings to allow the site to be accessed but I'm not sure if that what the licensing actually goes to.
    Drew

4. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

this sounds very much like a firewall issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smb1

smb1 New Member

ESXi can work with VMDK files from older versions of VMWare virtualisation platforms. One thing though is that it is a "bare metal" hypervisor and so is Hyper-V. This means they have to be installed before any operating system and then load the OS or import the VMDK files into the ESXi server. If you are using a laptop, you probably are not going to want to do that.

If you are testing, you will find that installing 3CX on your laptop, as long as it is running XP Pro, Vista Pro or Win 7 Pro it will run quite well and the 3CX installer will open the appropriate firewall ports and any other firewall exceptions it requires. This will also have the benefit of running much more acceptably. When you finish with the demo/testing it will remove the Abyss web server it requires and close the firewall back up.

6. danielbo

I am having the same problem, unsure why. I have been running this on my system for about 3 years now. This problem didn't start until I upgraded to version 10. Would really like to get my program registered again. I have tried registering it on three different computers and still get the same error message "Could not contact license key server - please check internet connection".
    Would try suggestions that are out there. Thank you so much in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.