Demo vs Free version

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by marcusjclifford, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusjclifford

I currently am running the free version of 3CX Server. I am happy with this although it is missing a few key features that would be of use to us, not least the message waiting indicator to show we have voicemail.

When I downloaded software 3CX emailed me a demo code.

From reading it seems this demo code provides full functionality but only 2 concurrent calls. (as opposed to 4 in the free version).

Some questions I have:
    Is this (2 concurrent calls) the only limitation of the demo version?
    Does the demo code expire after a set time or other measure?
    Can I switch back to the free version once I have tested out the demo enabled features without needing to start over again?

I also assume the 2 concurrent calls are any calls, so for example if I had one incoming call which was active, and another user was on an internal extension-extension call then a third call for example someone trying to check voicemail would be prevented?

Thanks in advance,
    Marcus

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Take a look at the brochure for a feature comparison
    http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/3CXPhoneSystem_brochure.pdf

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. marcusjclifford

Thanks craigreilly.

I am aware of the various differences between the Free and commercial versions, however my original questions remain - the brochure has no information about the demo edition related to my questions.

4. Chalky

Hi Marcus,

You're right in your assumption about the concurrent calls.

The Trial serial number is the same for everyone and has not expired whilst I have been using it. It unlocks everything that 3CX has to offer, including the Call Centre features and that crucial MWI!

You can switch back from Trial to Free at any time but pressing the Free Version button next to Activate at any time. When upgrading from Free to Trial, 3CX will prompt you to restart the server so make sure you do this out of hours. I find when swapping from Trial to Free, it does not do this step but I always do because it seems to get caught in a stage of half activated. You have to do this manually from the Service status tab, again make sure you do this out of hours.

Hope this helps.

5. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

The only difference is that you will only have two concurrent calls. If you want to try the full version and can get away with the two cc's its definitely worth giving it a try you will not be disappointed. I'd suggest making the purchase if indeed the features you need are in the paid version and not the free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. tsunami_australia

The only issue with the free version I've found is the lack of paging which is mainly what drove me to test Elastix as an option.

For business users I agree pay up for what you use because you would have to pay for a KSU type phone system else-wise anyway but the free addition of paging for those of us that only use it at home would be a nice bonus, especially when many of us strongly voice opinions of which product to use on other forums when the opportunity presents itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.