Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

desk phone and mobile phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by seanc, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanc

i have a desk phone and i have 3CX phone installed on my mobile.

both phones ring when a call comes in, if i put the mobile phone into away mode or out of office then i get no calls, not even on the desk phone.

i want 3CX on my mobile but when im in the office i dont want the mobile to ring, just the desk phone,
    and when i leave the office, i want the mobile to ring.

2. Charles_3CX

Charles_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi, Simply unregistered the the mobile phone app when in the office. Do this from settings > accounts and un-tick the account, Then re register when you leave.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. seanc

ok, so I unregister the account on the mobile phone when im in the office.

so...

what happens when im out the office and I want calls on my mobile (using my exten number)

if I set to out-of-office on the desk phone or the softphone then I get no calls on my mobile (unless I forward to my mobile number, which I don't want, I want to to be contactable via my exten number)

if I don't set out of office - then people think my presence is always available when im not (because the deskphone is on)

why cant you just have an option to ring DESKPHONE or MOBILE or perhaps BOTH

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The problem is that you want a different behaviour, for the same extension number, on two devices.

The Mobile App is seen by 3CX as a second appearance of your number, no different than if you had another desk phone, in another office, or at home. Not as a "different" type of device.

If you shut down (exit) the 3CX App, when in the office, then your mobile won't ring. Simply re-start it when you are leaving the office.
    If you are in the office, but don't want to be available, then set the desk phone to "out of office". Just remember to deactivate that when you start up the 3CX App on your mobile.

You might want to consider using a different extension number on your mobile, then, use call forwarding options from your desk phone to the new number. That may offer more flexibility.

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

You could set your phone to "AWAY -> Forward to Mobile" which would then forward your extension to your actual mobile phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. seanc

if in the office - then desk phone should ring (ok, so we unregister the 3cx phone app to stop the mobile ringing)

if out the office - then mobile - but we dont want the desk phone to ring, and our presence thinks we available because the desk phone is there.

yes, i understand we can forward to mobile number when out of the office but we dont want that, we want to be contactable by extension number by people in the office and need people to see if we really are available or not.

we purchased 3cx because we thought this was what it did, we just want our presence known to other extentions in the office,
    not a false presence by having a desk phone on the desk but no one to answer it.

what really is the point of the phone app if were just going to end up forwarding numbers to mobile numbers.

7. seanc

Please tell me, how do you all use your 3cx Phone Client?

scenario:

my head salesman is on the road, visiting customers. he's in wifi and on the internet and he has his 3cx iphone client installed.
    we need to speak to him...

Please tell me what you do to call him?

dial his extension number? but he's not at his desk... his desk phone will ring.

dial his mobile number? so whats the point of the 3cx client?

tell him to set out of office on 3cx - which makes his deskphone and 3cx client un-available

tell him to set a forward number - again, whats the point of 3cx phone?

why is this so difficult?
    isnt this an everyday scenario ?

Thanks.

8. craigreilly

For me - the admin doesnt have to think about it. send all calls to me. if i am at my desk I will answer. if my softphone is engaged, I will answer. perhaps if I do not recognize the number, I may let it go to voicemail... (which is sent to my email)

The issue of actual presence has not come up for us (60 ppl), nor at my previous 3 installations (75 ppl on 2 floors, 15ppl, 7 ppl in 2 different buildings of a 50 acre property) with my last company.

Sorry I can not be of better help.

9. gschwab

gschwab New Member

I have my mobile client set up as a separate extension ie: My desk phone = 123 My mobile client =223 then I can set my desk phone to forward to 223 when set to out of office.
    So when I'm out of the office someone calls my extension number (123) my mobile client ext. (223) rings.
    When I return to the office simply change my desk phone presence back to Available and my desk phone rings.

10. craigreilly

i like this idea too...

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

But, you are available if you have the mobile App registered.

I'm not certain why the desk phone ringing, is a bad thing unless it is so loud as to disturb adjacent workers, in that case lower the volume.

You could always unplug, or otherwise power down the desk phone, when out of the office. I know someone that has the power supply connected to the same switch as lamp on his desk

12. craigreilly

I like the desk lamp idea leejor. Although if they are POE then this may not help. Can you disable POE on phones? I do not think I have seen that option before.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Some sets will work with either. Obviously if you have POE coming in over the Ethernet cable, the AC adapter won't do much for you. You'd have to use an Ethernet cable with only two pairs along, with the AC adapter.

I know someone else that has half a power outlet that is energized only when the office ceiling lights are on. The phone is plugged into that side of the outlet. When they leave for the evening and turn off the lights, the set is no longer registered and follows the call forward rules. Nothing to have to key into the set to activate /deactivate.

14. seanc

so what is the point of the 3CX phone application then?

the only thing i can see it usefull for is an office that doesnt want desk phones.

thanks for the reply.
    Yes i am available IF the mobile app is registered and IF im in wifi/connected to the internet - that is excatly what i want..
    BUT becuase the deskphone is still on, i become ALWAYS available, but im not always.

Im not worried about the phone ringing in the office too much, its the presence thing i need to sort out.

we were under the impression this was what 3CX was all about, we were demo'd the system, we tried the system, we purchased and installed it, it clearly isnt going to do what we expected.

15. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

This is not probably not going to help, but the situation is as Leejor pointed out......

You have two devices that have the same extension. 3CX, as do most phone systems, reacts at the extension level. This is akin to having multiple phones in your house all using the same phone number and expecting that calls will only be forwarded from the one phone on which you activated the forwarding. Your home phone is really not much more than a glorified extension of the phone company.

What may differentiate one from the other device in 3CX is the IP address which each has and how that may be manipulated independently of one another. For example, you might try leaving the status set as available. Then on the desk phone, assuming it has its own DND setting that is not forwarding to 3CX, you could set the desk phone to DND. When a call comes into extension 100 (yours), the system will attempt to ring both extensions, but because the desk phone is set to DND, it will not ring (may get a slight chirp of a ring) as the phone will inform the system that extension 100@192.168.X.X is busy (DND), but the system should continue to ring the softphone.

The key to the above is to let the desk phone use DND and not set DND at the 3CX system which will then rightfully assume that all extensions associated to extension 100 will be DND.

I am not certain that I follow the argument about the desk phone always making you available. You have the ability of setting the status at the 3CX softphone as well by dial code or tapping on where it indicates the status and setting accordingly. You just need to remember that when setting a status at the PBX, which is what the dial codes and apps do, it impacts all devices with the same extension. So, setting yourself away or other at the softphone impacts the desk phone and vice versa as well.

The DND at the desk phone, as long as not programmed to send the DND dial code to 3CX should only cause that device with that extension and IP to be DND.

Does this help?

16. seanc

Thank you for your reply's.

3CX is obviously not what we need to use :( (after spending money on license, hardware and installation)

Front page of 3CX website needs to be changed and sales men need to be more informed.

Hot Desking is not EASY (it is if you use YEALINK phones)
    Remote Extensions are not simple - (it is if you either work remotely or work in office, but not both)

17. dagsworth461

I do it the other way around, people only know and call my listed extension number 2103 which is only setup on the 3CXPhone for windows and the Mobile App and it is this extension that shows my presence.

My desk phone has an unlisted extension 3103 and a BLF key for extension 2103.

That way when I shutdown my computer or the mobile I show as unregistered and calls go to voicemail.

I also have the 3CXPhone set to change my status to Out Of Office after 15 minutes of no keyboard or mouse activity in case I forget to shutdown my computer when I leave the Office in a hurry.

18. woopig

Setup a separate extension for your cell, and setup the Forwarding Rules to automatically ring your cell extension when the status on your desk phone is Away.

19. seanc

Thank you all for your options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.