• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Desktop components fail to install correctly on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copernicus

Forum User
Reaction score
We were unable to correctly install the 3CX MyPhone Desktop components on a newly installed Win 7 computer where we previously used the Windows Easy Transfer tool (WET) to migrate data from an old computer. The “MyPhoneSilverlightCom.tlb” file in the "C:\ProgramData\3CXMyPhone Client Addin\" folder was empty because the registration of the COM objects failed. The MyPhone log file contained the following message: “Com object is missing”.

The issue was resolved after importing the clean dcom.mig file using WET and rebooting the computer. You can create the migration file yourself from a "clean" Windows 7 computer, or download the file from the Microsoft TechNet article.

This looks like a serious bug in Microsoft WET if you ask me, and has cost me many hours of troubleshooting. It was only after checking the "Component Services" control panel and seeing the red arrow on the "My Computer" icon that we finally had a hint of what was going on.
If I didn't stumble on the following article I would never have guessed that WET was the culprit:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/2f347a0d-f5e2-490c-8c82-c15864ce17c7

Re: Desktop components fail to install correctly on Windows

Hey, thanks for this very interesting feedback.
Hopefully not too many people will stumble upon this situation but at least now we have a solution. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.