DHCP Server for XP?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by KerryG, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Has anyone found a good little DHCP server that can run on Windows XP? The few I have found don't support pushing DHCP scope options and that is a requirement for auto-provisioning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. comresource

comresource Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

TFTP32 only supports 1 DHCP Scope Option and doesn't support reservations. Cisco phones require DHCP Option 156 and 160 and I like having reservations for some systems so TFTP32 is not adequate.

4. comresource

comresource Member

It certainly does support option 66 and static reservations. You have to edit the .ini or registry depending on how you installed it.

5. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

http://www.softcab.com/dhcp-server/index.php

does everything in 1 min set up

6. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Again, the issue with TFTP32 is it only allows for ONE DHCP Scope option, that is not sufficient if you are going to have mixed phones that include the Cisco SPA5xx and any other brand.

Nowhere in the softcab site does it mention being able to set DHCP Scope options

7. comresource

comresource Member

You can add multiple options via registry or .ini

From the FAQ

Code:
    Q: Does the DHCP server manages other options ?
    A: Yes. You have to edit either the registry or the Ini file and change the AddOptionNumber<N> and AddOptionValue<N>. The values are string values unless they begin whith 0x followed by a hexadecimal value. Note that the special string '$IP$' will be replaced by the assigned IP address.

.ini Example :

AddOptionNumber1=66
    AddOptionValue1=192.168.44.2
    AddOptionNumber2=67
    AddOptionValue2=pxegrub_rtl8139
    AddOptionNumber3=150
    AddOptionValue3=menu-nb.lst

8. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Thanks Danny,
    Considering I am trying to pull out a Linux box as my main DHCP server I guess editing .ini files isn't completely horrible since I had no UI for that dhcp config file there.

9. comresource

comresource Member

I wont argue its ugly but it works and the price is right.

10. discovery1

discovery1 Member

I've used a product called DHCP Turbo on XP and it works very well.
    I think that you need to pay for it but there is a demo.

11. demonofsteel

demonofsteel New Member

12. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

Do any of you do auto-provisioning of phones? To do that you need a tftp server that can serve out scope options. the one from softcab can not. The other guys are right, tftpd32 is the best choice so far and you just have to edit the ini file in order to have multiple scope options and reservations. It may not be super easy to use because of that but it is a completely usable solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.