• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

DHCP VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmith3006

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm setting up my first 3cx deployment. I want to have a dedicated VLAN for my phones (VLAN 19) but I don't want to configure anything manually.

So, I've setup each port on my switch as a trunk port, default vlan is the desktop (vlan 70) and tagged on vlan 19.

I've setup DHCP option 132 to say 19 and the provisioning URL is in both. Currently I have option 132 on both DHCP scopes (70 and 19).

I boot up my phone (Yealink T22) and it's getting an IP from the 70 VLAN but it's not switching over. If I manually specify 19 for the WAN VLAN on the Phone then it gets the right address and connects to the server fine. It's as if the phone isn't adhering to the 132 tag.

Does anyone have any experience and suggestions on this?

Let me know if I need to explain anything better!

Thanks.

Hi there,
Yealink phones handles vlan dhcp option 132 according to this document from the manufacturer : http://wiki.alloy.com.au/downloads/IP_Communications/Yealink/Firmware/T2x%20Series/V71/VLAN%20Feature%20on%20Yealink%20IP%20Phones.pdf, see if this is of any help.
Also, please ensure you are running latest supported firmware by 3CX (T22: 7.71.0.224)

PIerre,

Thank you for that.

I have followed this guide, but I am not getting the expected results.

The provisioning template for the phone has VLAN information in there, but it is blank (the default template). Should these be removed?

Hi there,
If blank it means it takes what's set directly through phone interface.
You could fill these values through template but if editing template always take care to save on another filename so as to not overwrite default template. Furthermore, you should edit <models> section, add a suffix after each model name (before </model>). This will show your custom name in provisioning tab of extensions. Then assign template to extension, and reprovision.

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the office.

I'm making no progress with the DHCP so will look at the template instead.

Why is there two places in 3cx to update the templates? I've overwritten my changes a few times now by going into the other place to do the updates?

asmith3006,
I will send you a PM and give you a hand with this.

Hopefully by now you will have received some help,
If you have'nt here goes. I have deployed Yealink phones with no problem using VLANs. This is how we did it:-

1. Modify the phone provisioning template file to enable VLAN tagging for the phone, not for the PC
2. DHCP and Option 66. When the phone first boots up from new it will be on the default VLAN. Allow the phone to provision through this with option 66 pointing to the provisioning url. The phone will provision and reboot
3. When rebooted the phone will connect to 3CX on the correct VLAN. The PC will connect over the default VLAN

Alternatively, Yealink allows the use of LLDP to discover the VLAN. Switches need to be configured correctly for this to happen. The phone can receive LLDP packets from the switch to instruct it which VLAN to use, without having to obtain a DHCP address via the default VLAN first. The default is that LLDP is enabled, but for it to work correctly the switch has to send LLDP packets to the phone.

Right, tsukraw has been helping me on PM so thank you tsukraw.

The conclusion I've come to is there's an error on the Yealink implementation (at least on the T22) for DHCP 132. If I have the phone connected to a switch with LLDP enabled but not configured (this seems to be how all netgear, zyxel, Juniper switches ship) then the phone will not adhere to the DHCP 132 tag (even though it's configured to). If I explicitly disable LLDP-MED then the phone will adhere to the 132 tag.

Unfortunately the Zyxel switches I have don't seem to allow LLDP-MED to be disabled fully so the phone never gets to the correct VLAN.

I have now specified the VLAN in the provisioning template instead. Not as flexible but the only work around I can think of (without configuring LLDP on 15ish switches).

I'll email Yealink with my findings and see what they say.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.