Dial 3CX extensions from pstn through SPA 3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kargo1977, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kargo1977

Hello everyone,

after searching this forum, i can not believe that no one asked this question!

Is it possible (and if it is, than how) that anybody, using ordinary pstn line, can dial IP phones/extensions registered on 3CX server? Of course my pstn line is connected to famous linsksys spa 3102 which is configured properly (i can make outbound calls using ip phones and i receive a calls from pstn on my analog phone connected to the phone port on spa 3102).
    So in general again, my question is, is it possible to place a call from outside (from pstn) to ip extension of my choice?

Marko

2. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

More or less trivial.

Create a digital receptionist and point incoming calls to it (I assume you are able to get incoming calls on some extension already). Not necessary to program digits to press.

To make it functional just record a greeting message like: "If you know extension number, please dial it or wait for an operator" and reduce the timeout for transfer to operator to 10 seconds or so.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kargo1977

Ok, thank you for a quick response, but i had something else in mind, i want to be able to dial any extension registered on my 3cx server, when i call my pstn line connected to spa 3102. For digital receptionist i have only 10 choices (for 10 keys).

Again, in short:
    1. incoming call comes to pstn line connected to the line port on spa 3102
    2. that call is somehow routed or terminated or whatever, to the 3cx server (and not to my analog phone connected to phone port on spa 3102 as currently configured)
    3. after some signal, or message, i want to dial a registered ip extension of choice (100, 110, 120...)

4. kargo1977

message to moderators of this site, please remove advertisement garbage from this topic and this message also.

thank you

5. willow

willow Member

the 3cx digital receptionist is smart enought to let you dial the extension number, conference bridge, voicemail from it. just point your incoming line to a DR and record a prompt. when the DR answers you can dial an extension number and it will transfer the call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

OK,

but why don't just implement literally what I advised you in previous post (you don't need to use the 10 choices).
    It's doing everything you want exactly.

There is no other way (theoretically), otherwise you need DID (not possible with analog line).

Regards

Attached Files:

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Actually, there is. the PSTN "side" of the 3102 can be registered as an extension in 3CX. Using the security features built into the 3102 (caller ID and PIN screening), you could dial the PSTN number, enter a PIN, cut through to dialtone and dial the extension number. It would not be something you would implement for "the public" to use, but it provides a back-door "DISA like", option.

8. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

OK Leejor,

you are right - this pseudo-DISA 'workaround' is possible with SPA-3102, nevertheless this is not a 'trunk' option, what I meant by saying theoretically not possible for PSTN trunk line. The drawback is the users will be seeing the extension number assigned to SPA-3102 and not the caller-ID of external caller.

In all cases it's better to use the built-in functionality of the Digital Receptionist (error handling like incomplete dials, non-existing extensions, busy extensions, etc.; Caller-IDs, greater security - you are allowed to dial just 3 digits or so (the length of extension numbering), etc.). In fact the Digital Receptionist is a 'real' DISA.

Still you may apply extra security based on caller-ID and/or pin in SPA-3102, but is quite easy to make the system not working if you make it too complicated, because of delayed user responses, timeouts, etc.

Kind regards,
    Orlin.

9. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

If you need to record a greeting message, try this demo:

http://www.linguatec.de/vrweb/popup1_ptonline?dir=0&srctext=If%20you%20know%20extension%20number,%20please%20dial%20it,%20or%20wait.&lang=EG&guilang=en&readcontent=all&srctype=text&srccharset=utf8&customerid=00000102&cache=0&sndpitch=100&sndspeed=100&sndtype=1&sndquality=4&sndgender=W&simpleparse=1

The output is quite professional, you may record up to 500 characters in English or German.
    I've tested lots of free or demo voice readers on the web and Linguatec is probably the best one.

Still you need to convert the downloaded file to 8KHz, 16-bit mono .wav file to upload it into 3cx.

Regards

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'd debate that. It is unlike any DISA port that i have dealt with in the past. Pseudo DISA, in a way, maybe.

All of this depends on what you want to do, who is going to use it. If this is for customer access, to be able to reach extensions directly, a substitute for DID trunks, then the digital receptionist is the way to go. It keeps it simple and easy for customers to follow.If set up properly it also prevents them from doing things they shouldn't.

If this is for your (or a select group of employees) "personal" access, to be able to dial in, and reach users directly and/or perhaps place outgoing calls as well, that is when a true DISA comes in handy. You dial a number, get dialtone, enter PIN, get dialtone, dial the number the same way you would from inside the office. No muss, no menus, no fuss, no delays. You can program it all into a speedcall number in a mobile, including the destination number.

The only other way (for personal access), at the moment, is through the (your personal) Voicemail menu options.

11. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with this.

I put intentionally 'real' in quotes, as it only resembles DISA in functionality.

In a traditional phone system the DISA generally allows you to dial extension numbers, or authenticated by pin / caller-id to dial out from the PBX (using your personal CLIP and user rights, etc.). Although the voice-mail in 3cx system is not a real (full) DISA, it successfully emulates outgoing calls as handles by DISA. The other functionality allowed by traditional DISA is access to some system menus / dial codes (like day/night mode, etc.). Not all of them are possible with SIP (compared to traditional PBX), but also not necessary.

However, the 3CX functionality (DR and VM, plus calling by name) are enough for most user tasks / requirements. You don't need to call it DISA or similar.

On a traditional system I have implemented a 'real' DISA by looping CO lines to analog extensions. Forwarding a call to these trunks generates internal dial tone of the system and the caller can dial what ever the extension in the loop is allowed - highly valuable for systems without DISA.

Regards

12. kargo1977

Ok, thanks guys, its no wonder you call yourself pros, you know the knowledge :)
    Anyway, i did like you told me, created the digital receptionist, routed every incoming call to line port of the spa3102 to the receptionist but than i got the famous message about the error in IVR session.
    After that, and reading other posts about IVR error topic, i decided to upgrade from v.8 to v.9.
    First i backed up all the configurations from v.8, uninstall v.8 (didn't need to reboot!!! :)), install v.9, restore everything from backup, tried again with incoming call and all was working like a charm! After the end of the message from digital receptionist i just typed the extension number of my online extension and it rang!
    So i'm happy now, like a bee in early spring, or better, like a little pig in mud! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.