Dial 9 for an outside line, worth bothering with ?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Fatboy40, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

With moving over to 3CX from a traditional PBX is it still worth employing the use of the prefix '9' to obtain an outside line ?. I can't see a valid reason for using it anymore ?.

Thanks.

2. bluespiderit

If you leave the function enabled you can have more felxibility with outbound rules I believe.
    I.e. particual rules for seperate prefixes, if a user dials a 9 then the pstn route is used first, to manually select a VOIP line then 8 could be used etc.

Thats my understanding of it, I may be wrong...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The use of "9" or any other prefix does give you the flexibility in the future to allow callers to select a different outbound service. It also allows the use of the other digits (1 to 8 ) for future features such as speed calling. It allows you more flexibility in blocking calls to some long distance number/areacodes. You may not need the feature at the moment but it is much easier to include 9+ dialling now than have to change over to it later when the need arises.

Some people that use 3CX for a single line home installation may not want to bother with having to dial 9 first.

4. bmcosier

I have a few outbound rules so I don't have to dial a prefix to do certain things. For example, 4-20 digit numbers go via line x, 8 digit numbers add the area code on the front automatically, and I only have to add a prefix if I want to use an alternate line.

Ben

5. nwhitfield

I don't bother, but I fall into more or less the home installation (small home office, just me) category.

Instead, I have rules that allow me to dial most numbers as-is.

So, anything eight digits long is considered a local (London) number and gets automatically prefixes with 020.
    Anything six digits is considered local to my home town (Winchester) and is prefixed 01962
    Anything four digits is an extension at my major client, so gets their DDI prefix added
    Anything three digits long, or starting 118, or 141 is a British Telecom short code, so goes via PSTN
    Anything two digits long is an extension, so I can phone myself in another room, if I want the exercise running to answer it.

NIgel

6. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I will implement a '9' for an outside line now, so that if I get any issues with the SIP trunk provider I can use a prefix of say '8' to go out via a gateway and a PSTN line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.