Dial by First name or Last name option

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by dezmocom, Oct 11, 2016.

Dial by First name or Last name option 5 5 35votes
5/5, 35 votes

1. dezmocom

Hi Team

With the great feature changes in Ver 15 the following is simply a must for the company directory. Today the company directory ONLY allows the inbound caller to dial the company directory by Last Name. There should be only 1 option to dial by First name or Last name in the company directory.

Also when the user records their "System identification ID" this should be used by the 3CX to play back to the inbound caller when a match is made (irrespective if there if there is more than 1 match) in the company directory.

Minor changes that can easily be done in the 3CX for the next service pack.

Thanks

Andreas

2. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

I agree with Andreas, should be simple and it's often requested !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    craigreilly and B.Fluehmann like this.
  3. Lester Williams

I agree this is a must, we have this requested all the time, if that could then be linked to a specific Group when searching that would be even better

craigreilly likes this.
  4. jfletcher

Good idea, I'm in favor of this.

5. Yury Rabinovich

Definitely needed, especially this part: irrespective if there if there is more than 1 match in the company directory.

craigreilly likes this.
  6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Lev

Lev New Member

Wait.. is this not how it is working in V14 (i'm still on it)?
    If this has changed in V15, this would actually mean a big downgrade in user convenience :-/

So +1 i guess

8. technigogo

Really shocked this is not already available. I'm competing against crappier phone systems ...that have this ability. My prospective customers want this so guess what that means for my proposals?

9. Samuel Fishman

Very important feature.
    in Many companies people know each other by First Name
    +10000

10. upcraft

Allow admin to set dial by name to allow first name, last name, or both.

In Digital receptionist action "Call by Name" and in next column "Match first name / Match last name / Match first or last name"

Play back the recorded name on match could be a checkbox too.

Tooltip on web interface should also come up on call by name to say "Only users who have recorded their name in voicemail will be searchable (Voicemail->9. options->5. recorded name)

craigreilly likes this.
  11. boomschtick

The last place that I worked, I had to put the last name in the first name field and the first name in the last name field in order to make this work (and then rerecord the voice prompt.) It was a hack that that really shouldn't be necessary.

12. upcraft

One other refinement. When match is found have option to announce the extension number to the caller.

eg. To dial by name enter the first 3 digits of the (First/Last/Either) name.
    user enters digits that match user John Smith at extension 123
    The system plays message to call "John Smith at extension 123" Press pound or whatever.

then the next time that person calls back they are more likely to just hit the correct extension number.

[​IMG]

13. red45

Totally agree, what the OP Andreas says is just pure common sense. 3cx, can you please respond why this hasn't been done yet? 15.5 sp1 still has no improvement here. It's just strange to have all these other 21st century features, but then a call by name still from the 1970s.

Chris

14. upcraft

15. dezmocom

HI 3CX team,

Not sure why even after 3 years since i posted this has not even ben considered ... hmmm This still should be one of teh easiest adds for 3CX and quite welcomed by the community.

Thanks

Andreas

16. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

++1. Lost at least one over this. At least let us choose between first name or last name, but I'd prefer both.

17. jimbo59

jimbo59 Member

I agree. Our clients's customers don't even know last names.

accentlogic likes this.
  18. cogent

+1
    When a client has a user with only 2 letters in their last name, you can't reach them using the directory. Must have the ability to switch to first names when necessary. Changing the CALLBYNAME_MINLEN setting from 3 to 2 isn't a good solution because you have to rerecord the please_enter.wav file which screws up a bunch of other prompts that then need to be recorded.

I have read past posts where 3CX agents have said the reason it is set up this way is because last names are more unique. But shouldn't we have the ability to configure this to meet our specific needs? It's not like there is any other viable option to address the short last name issue. There are a lot of people that want this feature and it should be fairly trivial to implement. PLEASE can we get this done?

craigreilly likes this.
  19. bort

Same with us. Our customers only know us by First Name, no one knows our last names. Our crappy old phone system from 1998 could search by First Name and could even handle multiple people with the same name. We just paid a lot of money to get a professionally recorded greeting done which mentions "Search Directory by First Name". Now when a customer chooses that option and then hears "Search by Last Name" its an absolute joke.

Can't believe that such a basic feature hasn't been implemented yet. If we had known that this wasn't available, we would have chosen a different system. I'm worried now about what other basic features don't exist...

20. DSXDATA

DSXDATA New Member

Yes, but at 3CX they use last names. Try going into a bar in Cyprus and yelling "Is Nick here?"

craigreilly and accentlogic like this.