Dial By Name

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by stevodevo, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevodevo

I'm a new 3CX administrator (inherited system) and want to know if it's possible to have a 'dial by name' function in the system? So when a caller reaches the Auto Attendant, they would press x and then be allowed to type in the person's name on the keypad and the system would tell them (and forward them) to the extension.

Is this possible?

Steve

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can simply call a Digital Receptionist and dial the number of the person you want to call in the main menu.
    There is no need to even press anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stevodevo

Thanks Leonidas, but what if I don't know the extension of the person I am trying to call? I've used VoIP systems in the past where you could enter a name (rather than a number) and have that do a lookup against the company directory in the phone system.

Is that possible?

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Ah sorry i thought you meant something else from your post.
    You can also do what you're saying yes, if you know the name of the person you want to call, you can try entering the 3 first letters of their last name in the DR if you have the "Dial by name" option somewhere in the DR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. stevodevo

Okay I found the Dial by Name option in the Digital Receptionist setup. However, when I dial the first 3 digits of the person's last name, it says "extension not found". I'm dialing the last name exactly as it is set up in the Extension list. Is there something I'm missing in the set up?

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Ah i forgot to mention, you would have to go to each extension's voice mail, menu 9 > 5 and record a new Self ID message to be their name.
    After that you should be able to call people with this feature.

7. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

So:

1) Set up a Digital Receptionist with the Dial by Name option in it.
    2) Put a name and surname in each extension's settings.
    3) Go to each extension's voice mail option 9 and 5 and record their full name as the self identification message.

You can now make call by name calls to those extensions via the DR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.