Dial extension but does not display name

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ncit, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncit

Hi,

I had setup the whole PABX system in my company. But I encounter some weird issue. I had setup the staff name in the 3CX with an extension number.
    But when I dial that extension number, it shows me the extension number instead of the name that was in the 3CX. And this only happen to some of the extension number.
    Anyone have any idea what causes this to happen?

My 3CX version 11.0.28976.849
    Phone I'm using Cisco SPA504G

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The name is not showing on which phone...the extension that is placing the call, or the one receiving the call?

3. ncit

The name does not show on the phone that was making the call. The phone that were receiving the call will have the caller name display without any problem.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

To have the name show on the originating phone usually requires that the name, and matching number, have been "entered" into the phonebook of the set.

5. ncit

If that's the case, why some of the number that call the phone have the name displayed? I had not enter anything into the set phonebook.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

These sets are originating a call and show a name on their display? What make/model of phones are they, and which names are showing on their display? internal numbers, outside numbers?

7. ncit

My office are using Cisco SPA502G. I notice that once a person called my ext before, when I try calling their ext it will display the name that I set in the "First Name" in 3CX.

Example, I have set Tom with ext 1000 and Alice with ext 2000. Tom dial 2000, the display will display 2000 and not the name Alice. But if Alice call Tom before, when Tom dial 2000, it will display Alice with the ext 2000 under her name.

And if Alice did not call Tom for a few weeks, when Tom call Alice, it will end up display the ext only without name again.

Any idea of this issue?

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What I suspect is happening...

Most phones will retain the name and number, of a certain number of incoming calls to allow for the redial feature, and to show the last few callers. This might be 10, or more numbers. Once the maximum is reached, then the oldest is replaced my the most recent. If there is a match, in that list, when you place a call, then that name will be shown on the display.

9. ncit

I see..
    Any idea is there any ways for Cisco phone to get the the ext info from 3CX when people dial the ext no.? Because it will be good if the phone can display the ext owner name when dialing their ext number.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Some sets are able to download the 3CX phone directory. For the most part, this is used for external calls. In your case (internal numbers), the if the name and number is not already in the set directory before the person dials, then they are probably using a printed directory or calling from memory.

When people call from a home phone or mobile, unless the name has been entered in the phone directory they usually have a good idea who should be at the other end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.