Dial extensions in speed dial/contacts

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by tim942, Oct 15, 2015.

Dial extensions in speed dial/contacts 5 5 8votes
5/5, 8 votes

1. tim942

Yes I know, Yealink has been promising a wait/pause for a while now. But there must be some way we can incorporate this into 3CX. Either with (x), (ext), (,), or (#).

2. SMS-Automation

I strongly support this feature request!

We switched to 3CX (with Yealink phones) from a traditional PBX. Most users took for granted possibility to dial a contact with an extension, not just a general phone number of a company. Now we hear a lot of complaints about this missing feature.

This feature was requested from Yealink for years. They keep promising to introduce it in future firmware releases but nothing really changes. See this thread for instance: http://forum.yealink.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=207

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The device (phone) has to be able to do this. The initial digits would be sent with a SIP message, and the remaining, using DTMF. At the 3CX end, any changes would have to adhere to SIP standards and be able to accommodate any type of trunking the client was using. The set could possibly do this, but obviously this isn't a simple implementation, or, there is not enough demand to warrant the time developing it (at this point).

craigreilly likes this.
  4. paurus

5. Jon George

How are you supposed to add an external number to a conference call when they don't have a DID? This feature is definitely needed!

6. Dave Williams

My contacts originate from MS Outlook and, as a result, phone numbers with an extension number are represented as follows:
    +1 (995) 848-0613 x 206
    Through synchronization, they arrive in Google Contacts on my android phone.

When I then try to call those numbers, they are not connected and they show in the 3CX call log ('To' column) as:
    (995)848-0613x206
    Notably, E164 rules are being applied and correctly removing the +1 prefix, but the hyphen and the 'x' remain.

In contrast, for contacts without an extension number, the phone numbers are represented in Google Contacts as:
    +1 (995) 848-0613
    And, these connect successfully with the 3CX call log showing:
    Notably, in this case, not only have E164 rules been applied but the hyphen has also been removed.

So my suggestions would be that:
    (a) Hyphens (or other undiallable characters) should ALWAYS be removed from phone number that the 3CX server receives from the Android app, or from any other SIP client.
    (b) There should be a clear and definitive statement from 3CX stating what character(s) need to be used to separate a phone number and an extension number suffix.
    (c) Ideally, one separator character (perhaps 'x') could be used for extension numbers that are not to be dialled. For these, 3CX could simply ignore that separator character and all the digits that follow.
    (d) Ideally, another character (perhaps a comma) could be used for extension numbers that are to be dialled and would have the effect of introducing a pause.
    (e) Whether or not an extension number is to be dialled, these separator characters and all digits that follow them need to be entirely disregarded when searching for an outbound rule to be used to make the call.