• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Dial Rules on Specific Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitallad

Reaction score
Hi

I have 2 ports on my 3 cx system with various dialing rules that routes calls to the ports. Problem is that I get deferent call rates depending on what time of the day I make the calls.
What I would like to do is

1) From 7am to 7pm - when dial 013 the call's must be routed via port 10000 ( voip provider )
2) From 7pm to 7am - when dial 013 the call's must be routed via port 10003 ( pstn provider )

Is there a way to create a outbound rule to provide the desirable affect?

Paul

About the only thing you will be able to do is create a different access prefix for each route. You will have to dial your calls using each prefix depending on which route you want them to take, based on the time of day.
It's rare nowadays to have the rates change that much that people change the outbound rules based on time of day. Usually a VoIP provider can be found the will give the lowest rate 24 hours a day.

It can see this could be useful; I have a DSL line which is there pretty much just the broadband connection, but changes to the basic rental package mean that it now includes unlimited UK calls at weekends.

Frankly, I'd rather they just dropped the rental and did away with the inclusive calls, but that's a phone companies for you...

I do have a prefix set up to dial via that line, but it would be kinda neat too have it happen by a cunning system of magic instead - which would also mean that when I pick a number from the memory on my phone, it's routed by the cheapest connection.

nwhitfield said:
It can see this could be useful; I have a DSL line which is there pretty much just the broadband connection, but changes to the basic rental package mean that it now includes unlimited UK calls at weekends.

Frankly, I'd rather they just dropped the rental and did away with the inclusive calls, but that's a phone companies for you...

I do have a prefix set up to dial via that line, but it would be kinda neat too have it happen by a cunning system of magic instead - which would also mean that when I pick a number from the memory on my phone, it's routed by the cheapest connection.

Exactly my Point.. The prefix way also the only way I know of doing it but If you can have "Office hours" for receiving calls. It should not be too difficult to apply the same for out going calls......

Digitallad said:
If you can have "Office hours" for receiving calls. It should not be too difficult to apply the same for out going calls......

I suppose that is you were designing the PBX, it probably wouldn't be that much harder to include it, but this is the first time I've seen this sort of request come up. Features like this would be added as the demand required. I haven't seen an outbound, time of day routing, included on any of the other PBX's that I'm familiar with. You can always put in a request at the Feature Request Forum. If there was a huge demand, then who knows...

If your outgoing routes were via PSTN gateways, you could get creative with timers to cut power to the ATA's at various times forcing the calls onto the others. If an analog line were bridged onto two ATA's it would allow for incoming to continue on one but block outgoing on the other. This, obviously, would get a bit costly, depending on the number of lines.

Power cuts could be creative you will just have to create a fall back number if the pstn fails... I must check my pstn gateway out mabe something there.....

How about if you run the Ethernet link to the 3CX PC through a switch. Cut power to switch from 7pm to 7am. This would isolate the PC from the net severing the VoIP connection. In your outbound rule you have the VoIP connection as first choice and PSTN trunk as second choice. First choice becomes unavailable after 7pm and calls go out on PSTN.

Of course all of this depends on whether or not you require that the 3CX PC has an internet connection at all times for other applications.

leejor said:
How about if you run the Ethernet link to the 3CX PC through a switch. Cut power to switch from 7pm to 7am. This would isolate the PC from the net severing the VoIP connection. In your outbound rule you have the VoIP connection as first choice and PSTN trunk as second choice. First choice becomes unavailable after 7pm and calls go out on PSTN.

Of course all of this depends on whether or not you require that the 3CX PC has an internet connection at all times for other applications.

For now I would need the internet for other programs.But not a bad idea.I might be able to block the IP of the voip line during "night hours".
I remembered a program that used to block other programs from connection to the web for "updates" it might work.. I will just need then enable and disable the program with windows shedule. Will post if I find some thing.

PS. I posted the question in the Add futures page First answer I got was NO YOU CANT.... :?: I still think its cant be that difficult to do. :p

I think the "no you can't" refers to the fact, that, the way things stand, you can't at the moment, the option just isn't there. If there was enough of a demand for that feature then it would be considered I'm sure. As I said before I'm not familiar with any current PBX's that offer that, not to say that there aren't some out there, somewhere.

Understood , but in the "Add future " page , as I understand , you can list ideas to see if others would also be intrested.. Any way I looked at the program I spoke about (it is called any weblock ) and does not seem to work. I do realize that one can do all of this via "picking the wright line". But is also a bit of fun looking for an alternative auto way to do things.. 8)

Seeing as 3CX is aimed primarily at the business market, and that typically, business hours are 8am to 5pm ish, most aren't worried about re-routing long distance calls, for a better rate, after hours. Yes, there are a lot of places, especially with call centres and international operations , going 24/7, but a lot of those are dealing with a majority of incoming calls and that is where time of day routing really shines. I have a feeling that you are going to have to seek an alternative solution.

I sort of realized that on the second post and admit-tingly only been playing around with VoIP the last month or so. I also believe , after reading a lot on the net , that the home market is one that is slowly catching up with the professional market. Now a days almost every thing is connected , in some way or another , to the internet from your kitchen to your car. So the more discussion takes place about what possibilities there are the more we open our self for new horizons.
Take care
P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.