dialing * or #

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joris__w, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joris__w

hi,

for some purposes I need to be able to dial * and # on my PSTN line.
    but this seems not possible in 3CX.
    is there any solution that I can send the * and # to my PSTN line?

thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I had an issue trying to send the octothorp (#) to a SPA3102, a while back. It looked like the 3102 wasn't interpreting the information and thus unable to send the character. Not sure which gateway you are using but try running wireshark and capture the info passed to the device when the digits are sent. I'm assuming you are sending the * and # from an outbound rule where you have inserted them as ATA devices usually interpret the # as the end of dial string and the * as a control for certain functions.

3. joris__w

thanks for replying.
    I'm using linsys spa3102 as a gateway. it seems 3cx always uses the * for his own functions. even when I have a dialtone and i try dialing * or # on my 3CX softphone it seems the * or # is not reaching the PSTN line. apparantly the # is transformed in something like %23 in my serverlog.
    in fact I need to be able to send the code *21* or #21# to the PSTN provider in order to get some functions directy from the PSTN provider.
    any ideas?
    thanks

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I needed to send 72# / 73# to activate and deactivate call forwarding on the PSTN line. I gave up when i discovered that if i waited long enough without the # it went through. I never pursued it after that. You may want to try the Linksys/Cisco forums to see if anyone has come up with a solution given the characters that 3Cx is sending.

5. joris__w

hi,
    I searched the cisco forums for an answer on the issue of sending # or * to the PSTN line. no luck.
    can anyone give me a hint on this?
    thanks

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can send * or # if you want - what are you getting in the logs?

It is a question of whether the gateway supports this function or not.

In my case my gateway tells me 501 not implemented - but that shows me that it received the *.

I did Outbound rule to gateway example 0* - PBX stripped 0 and sent the * to the line.

If the question is linksys / cisco related, you have to do a dialplan to accept everything you send and not try to manipulate it. I believe there is something in the 3CX support section on this - look for Dial plans. [x.] - I am not sure but this allows everything to pass exactly as you type it in without the gateway adding, stripping or manipulating anything from your input.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Nicky, I tried a while back to send the #, I posted in the forums. I had added the # in the dialplan so not dialed directly from the set. This was to a 3102 gateway. After a lot of packet sniffing it just looked like the 3102 would not respond properly to the character that 3CX was sending. Perhaps other gateways are able to send these character correctly.

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

First try to send it to the SPA directly. Why do you need to use the # but? For what purpose?

The Hash is the SEND button in telephony as you know. Maybe this is why the linksys does not let you do anything with # because it assumes that when it sees # a) the number is complete and user is ready from input, b) it needs to transform the number and c) send it to PSTN network

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. joris__w

thanks for replying.
    my local PSTN company has some code to use for external forwarding the PSTN line. whitout the # and * these services are not available.
    it seems a linksys spa3102 problem and I have no idea if this can be done.
    greetings

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

what dial plan do you have in the linksys? The linksys probably is thinking that you are trying to access one of its Service or star codes (of the linksys itself)

11. joris__w

hi,
    it seems there are 2 different issues here.

dialing a number starting with a # gives me contact with the PSTN line with the message that the phonenumber doesn't exist. probably the linksys 3102 doesn't transmit the # in front of the number correctly.

dialing a number starting with a * gives the message that the number is not allowed bij the administrator. this seems a message from 3CX itself.

the dialplan I'm using is still the one that was in the linsys spa3102 by default. I didn't experiment on that because I'm not very familiar wwith the syntaxis of a dialplan.

(*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

maybe here something to work on?

greetings

12. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This is the pstn section or the phone ATA section?

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When I was having issues trying to get it work work it was strictly with the Gateway side.

Here is the link to my original post back in January...http://www.3cx.com/forums/how-do-you-send-an-octothorp-8769.html

14. joris__w

hi,
    the dialplan I added before is in the Line1 section.
    in the PSTN section I only set the dial plan 8 to (<S0:10000>) as instructed in the manual of 3CX. should there be anything else in this section to get the # to be send?

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The dialplan in the Line 1 portion won't help at all, the # is seen as a "send all the digits from the ATA to 3CX now!" command. The (<S0:10000>) line in dialplan 8 is for calls ringing in on the PSTN line, so that they "call forward" to 3CX, when you receive a call. This has nothing to do with outgoing calls on the gateway.

What I had tried to do, originally,in an outbound rule in 3CX, was to dial a 3 digit number, I have a set of speed call numbers all beginning with "1". So, I would dial , say, 123. The "123" outbound rule was set up to strip the first 3 digits and then add "72#" and send it out on the SPA3102 gateway trunk. You see, this way 3CX itself was sending out the #, I was not dialling the # directly from a handset. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem work with the SPA3102 Gateway as you can see in the link to my post from earlier this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.