Dialing out through voicemail shows wrong caller ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by checkinyyz, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checkinyyz

Hello,

We have users working remotely in the US roaming on their personal cell phones. They need to make calls to customers and have it show the caller ID name and number that would normally show if they call from their extension directly.

I enabled the voicemail dial out option under parameters but it's not working properly. If my employees name is Bob Smith, and our company name is ABC COMPANY with our main line 416-123-1234, dialing out from Bob's extension in the office or the 3CX soft phone shows "ABC COMPANY 416-123-1234." However when I enable the voicemail dial out and he calls from his cell phone, the outbound caller ID that goes to the customer is "Bob Cell 416-123-1234."

Why is it changing the name, and what is "Bob Cell"? He has his cell entered as his personal cell phone so that some calls can ring on it, but why would 3CX make that his outbound caller ID? The whole point of us using this is because users need to call customers from their personal cell but have it say ABC COMPANY.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Some questions to help understand the other aspects that may interact with the solution.
    Does the company have any after-hours forwarding in place that goes to external numbers and if so, what number is shown, the company number or the original caller's number who was forwarded?

3. checkinyyz

No there's no forwarding after hours. Any time we do forward calls though it shows the name and number of the original caller not our company.

If I make a call from Bob's 3CX softphone, like mentioned the person receiving the call sees his full name and his DID. If I call out through the voicemail system it shows his DID but says "Bob Cell" as the name. If Susan, Peter, Jenn etc all call out they all do the same thing "Susan Cell" "Peter Cell" "Jenn Cell" so 3CX is setting that name, not us. It needs to show the same name as dialing out from the extension but it doesn't.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you do not have this name "Bob's Cell" , and i suspect you don't (it's too "casual") datafilled in 3CX, then I suspect it is stored in the phonebook of the device/phone receiving the call and matching to the number. Try calling a phone, not normally called by Bob's cell phone, and see what name shows. Or try calling direct from Bob's cell phone to the set that you are calling through the voicemail...same name show?

...after re-reading you post, I see it shows the same outgoing number in both cases. So, is "Bob's Cell" being picked up from the 3CX Phone book, and simply being passed on, or is it stored in another location. (it has to be somewhere). There are a number of name/number display options in the trunk settings. While making a change to one, or more, of these may correct your current problem, they may cause others that are not immediately apparent. Make note of current settings and do some testing after each change.

#4 leejor, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. checkinyyz

It's 100% not stored anywhere. When I call my SIP provider they are saying our PBX is sending the caller ID as "Bob Cell" or "Jenn Cell" or "Susan Cell". It's the users first name and then "Cell" every single time. I just made a new user as a test and it does the same thing, "Obama Cell."

Maybe I'm not being clear on what we are trying to do.

If I have a employee called Jennifer Jones, extension 1234, that when calling out from the 3CX client, it shows let's say "Jennifer Jones 416-123-1234." Doesn't matter who I call, it says that, and our SIP provider confirms that Jennifer Jones is the name being sent as well as our number 416-123-1234.

When Jennifer dials into the voicemail system from her personal cell phone and makes an outbound call, 3CX sends the caller ID as "Jennifer Cell 416-123-1234".

I just did a test and blocked the cell phone caller ID and dialed out. This time it shows "UNAVAILABLE 416-123-1234." So it's definitely not working. For whatever reason it is just passing the cell phone caller ID on the outbound call for the name only, but keeping the number as our office line.

I'm not clear why someone would use this dial out feature if it's just going to show the persons cell phone as the caller ID other than maybe saving money calling internationally. Otherwise I might as well just call someone directly from my cell.

It sounds like this feature doesn't work properly and to be honest after doing all this testing I think it's too clunky to call this way anyway, since it literally takes 30 seconds before you're ringing the end person after dialing the IVR, logging into the voicemail system, picking 9 for more options then 3 to dial out etc. Thanks.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What happens if you call into a voice mailbox from a landline, not associated with that user name, "Franccos Pizza", for example. Does it still show the voice mailbox owners name + "cell" ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.